which transmision should I use

blackv6

building my car want to know which tranny would be good. what is my choices for 4 speeds. I know there are a few people running the tci 6 speed and i would like to know how they like it.

How much HP/TQ are you planning on having?
200-4R
700-R4/4l60
4L60E
4l80E
There're a few Threads on here about the TCI 6-speed, it's a modified 4L80E with a few extra overdriven gears.

yeah i was thinking bout that 6 speed but was wondring how much hp each transmision would soak up. I dont want to loose much power through a hungry transmision

e

We have the same goal. I would recommend searching the site, I've read hours and hours of posts to get educated on the pros and cons of all the transmissions Ssedan was nice enough to post. I've settled on a purpose built 200. Some guys run them without issue deep into the 9s.

2k if your not going to beat the piss out of it. 3k if you want peace of mind. Some say go with a 400 and be done with it. It comes down to personal choice at that power level. Anything over 700/750 to the wheels and you want a 400. Some would argue that last statement.

4L80E if you really make that much power. By the time you spend the coin to get any of the lesser trans up to handling the power you are in the ball park and one failure and you are on the side of the road thinking "I should have spent the money up front". 4L80E ftw!

EXTREME AUTOMATICS stage 3 200r4 and call it a day .. lonnie will stand behind it .. no question the best trans out there .. and if you run into problems LONNIE WILL BE THERE TO HELP !! ..

4L80E if you really make that much power. By the time you spend the coin to get any of the lesser trans up to handling the power you are in the ball park and one failure and you are on the side of the road thinking "I should have spent the money up front". 4L80E ftw!
what kind of power are u loosing through that thing and second can what vender did u get the transmision from

im running a billet 200 from dave husek with a pts non lock 9.5 and its a great street/strip combo.currently mid 10's at full weight.

im running a billet 200 from dave husek with a pts non lock 9.5 and its a great street/strip combo.currently mid 10's at full weight.

I'll second this...It's worth a call to Dave. If he can't build you a 2004r that will hold up, he will tell you. Honest guy....

I have the TCI 6x, great transmission. It has a lifetime warranty up to 800hp. When I talked to TCI they said the only reason its up to 800 horsepower is because they had to pick a number and currently have quite a few in the 1000+ area running without issues. Its the best of every world with tons of tuning, only issue is that the price of admission is a bit crazy

blackv6 said:
what kind of power are u loosing through that thing and second can what vender did u get the transmision from

I've had my share of 200-4r rebuilds. And will probably continue but if I was making a true 800hp I would get hold of Jakeshoe, chris718, lonnie, phoenixtrans.com and see about a 4L80e. The weight difference is minimal and I don't think the rotating mass is that significant when comparing reliability. For that past tenth or hundredth a 2004r might be the ticket, but for bulletproof overdrive reliabilty Allison might be the only alternative if you could bolt it up.