which dry sump tank?

RegalX2

what tank are you using ? how much capacity and where do you locate it? Breathers ? I see a taller, more slender unit listed for sprint cars, and they are less money.

Thanks,
Jim

what tank are you using ? how much capacity and where do you locate it? Breathers ? I see a taller, more slender unit listed for sprint cars, and they are less money.

Thanks,
Jim
The design of drysump tank you use will mostly depend on the mounting space available, and the type of fuel you run. I use an ARE tank. I can't remember the capacity. 2 or 3 gallon. I fill it just under halfway. Alcohol fuel requires more oil capacity to make up for the amount of oil contamination you get with the fuel.
Total engine oil capacity is 10 quarts.
One is in the engine.
Three sit in the one pressure supply line filter and two scavenge line filters.
Four quarts are in the oil tank.

You don't really want to run the capacity in the tank over half full. The oil deaerates better with the free space.

The breather should be mounted at the same level as the fitting on the tank, or higher. That way steam has an easy way out and won't trap in the top of the tank. Some tanks have the breather built right in so you don't have to worry about remote mounting the breather. Again, it all depends on the room you have available for the tank.

The tank can be mounted pretty much anywhere in the car. It should be level or higher than the pump so that it gravity feeds the pump. For a drag car, I like it close to the pump, and if possible, in front of the pump.

drysump.com

Ditto what Don said, except mine is a Moroso 6 qt. with the built in breather tank. I also added an AN fitting to the breather to plumb my vacuum pump puke.

Greg

thanks, good info. I bought a S2 complete with all dry sump stuff, big squarish tank, like 16 qts, too big to mount underhood, I want to put a smaller tank where batt would reside. Would a heater be needed ? Will be a street strip car
Any pics would be great
Thanks again

thanks, good info. I bought a S2 complete with all dry sump stuff, big squarish tank, like 16 qts, too big to mount underhood, I want to put a smaller tank where batt would reside. Would a heater be needed ? Will be a street strip car
Any pics would be great
Thanks again
I do have a heater strip on my tank. It doesn't hurt to use one. Helps much more with thicker oils. An alcohol engine typically runs thicker oil than a gas engine. Again, due to the higher contamination level from burning methanol. It helps to get the oil up to temp quicker so that the contamination in the oil can start boiling off sooner.
I'll get some pics for you by later today.

A little late. Sorry.

Attachments

• IMGP2045rs.jpg
    IMGP2045rs.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 220
  • IMGP2051rs.jpg
    IMGP2051rs.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 243
  • IMGP2050rs.jpg
    IMGP2050rs.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 215