When the MAF is disconnected...

Dan Thompson

I understand that a TR will run with the MAF disconnected.

I may drive my car from So Cal to Seattle. If the MAF craps out on the way would it be a bad idea to continue to dirve with the MAF unplugged?

Originally posted by Dan Thompson

I may drive my car from So Cal to Seattle. If the MAF craps out on the way would it be a bad idea to continue to dirve with the MAF unplugged?

yes it will run. However, if you lean into the throttle too much, it stutters and then backfires.

I had to drive mine from Atlanta back home to Louisville with no MAF. That was only a 6 hour drive, and it was hell. I couldn't go past about 1/8 throttle before it would cut out and backfire. Gas mileage was about 12mpg. I usually get 20.

It'll get you home, I don't recommend doing it for very long. I have a newer LT1 MAF now, but knowing what I know now, if I still had the stocker, I'd have a spare in the trunk next to my extra serpentine belt and ignition coil.

If it dies you can drive it if you have to. Just turn the key off, unplug the maf, and then start it up. Don't make boost, and be prepared for stumbles as it won't handle throttle movement well. I had two mafs die in about 250,000 miles before I went to the translator/lt1 setup, so I think the odds are way in favor of no problem on your trip.

Originally posted by Dan Thompson

Yes it will.
Thou the ecm will use just a few fixed values, and just guess at what readings to use, based on RPM. So there is no *load* calculation. It's a VERY primitive, *get home* strategy. As mentioned don't even think of boost, and any high throttle opening means the engine is going LEAN.

Personally, I carry a spare ecm, MAP (in your case you should have a spare MAF), and coil/coil module. Not to mention the normal wrenches and spares (to include serpentine belt). I just hate getting stranded for any reason.

Not to mention having known good spares at hand just makes good sense when you need to *just try something* when you do eventually have a problem.

At the rate GN's/g-bodies get carted off aroung here, leaving a gn stranded is almost certain theft.