Wheel Studs?

Geoff87

Administrator
Staff member
(quote from UNGN)

Wheel Studs (M12 x 1.5 x 76 ..longer than stock) GM part no. 22551491 .

Now what is the correct way to remove the old ones, and install the new ones? Will any damage occur by pounding out the old ones?

Geoff

Center caps With longer studs

If you install longer Wheel studs, What lug nuts do we use on a GN rim to hold the center cap on???:confused:
Thanks,
Guy

Dean, Les, Derrick, or anyone who runs longer wheel studs.

Did you have to remove the axles to install the studs? Is there enough room to fit the 76mm (3 inch) studs or will the backing plate be in the way?

Thanks,
Geoff

Hey Geoff,
You have to remove the axles to put em in!! I think ill just paint my lugnuts black so they look like studs.
Derek;)

Sorry guys

Sorry guys, I guess this stud thing was my fault.:rolleyes: Should have let go of the line lock button sooner.:rolleyes: ;):p :D Then they wouldn't have checked. Will they let us run on the 24th without the longer studs??:confused:
Guy

Geoff, The right way to do it is to remove the axle and press it on and off, but......if you would like to cheat, the studs can be done with the axles kept on. You neeed to find the point on the backing plate where the stud will fit, when you pull the new studs through make sure the threads don't strip. If you have any questions ask Paul, he just did his studs on the car. Les

Yep, Les discribed the process right. I found a spot on the backing plate that allowed me to put the studs in without pulling the axles. I'm not sure if they'll let you run,because everyone will have to have their car teched. It's not the the regular outlaw racing. Good luck guys, and I'll see everyone there!!

Thanks guys! :)

Looks like the axles will stay in the car, if I can get the studs in that way!

Geoff

Thanks guys! :)

Looks like the axles will stay in the car, if I can get the stud in that way!

Geoff

;) You don't need the all of the stud. All you need is the thread to stick out from your open ended lugnut, so you can cut them down. This will not weaken them.

Dean,

Are you saying that the 76mm (3 inch) wheel studs are too long?!? Or rather, that I can cut them so that they don't appear as long, if they LOOK to long? Thanks!

Geoff

Yep. If you don't like the looks you can cut them down. The guys at the track are only making sure that you have proper thread engagment on the lug nuts. The longer it is the easier to spot.

Originally posted by TURBO D
Yep. If you don't like the looks you can cut them down. The guys at the track are only making sure that you have proper thread engagment on the lug nuts. The longer it is the easier to spot.

OK. Thanks! Hmmm...... hacksaw? :D

TurboD, Les, or Paul
Do you think that a 2 1/2" wheel stud is long enough? I couldn't find any of the 3" GM ones on the island so I picked up some ARP wheel studs from RONS (PN 100-7708)
Thanks,
Derek:D

Probably. Since Dean says that you can cut them. How much were they? Too late for me, as mine should arrive tomorrow. Just curious. :)

Hey Geoff!

The ARP studs were $13.27 for a set of 5. 2 sets + tax comes out to $27.65
Derek:D

Just sticking out will be enough. They said it had to be in the lug the diameter of the stud. 1/2 in studs ,stud 1/2 into the lug. I just kept them long so no questions asked. Hope that helps.
Paul