wheel spacers

DJay

GN Novice.
just bought bfg dr's (275 60 15's) and noticed the passenger side tire rubs jus a tad.

not familiar with wheel spacers (the tire co. said they were dangerous), but its apparent i need them.

where do i go to get em? how much are they? will it hurt my dr's in the meantime to rub a lil bit?

TIA

Originally posted by DJay

just bought bfg dr's (275 60 15's) and noticed the passenger side tire rubs jus a tad.

Where does it rub?

Frame OR wheel-well moulding? :confused:

I'd suggest buying 2" lug studs if you're buying spacers. You can buy them at most parts stores and they are direct replacements for the stock length.......same thread size. Spacers can be dangerous if your lug stud isn't long enough and the lug nut only catches a few threads.

GM part # 14091902
5/16 spacer about 10 bucks each. Used them on mine have the same tire size.
JFH

I'm using 5/32" spacers & extended nose lugnuts. The lugnuts make 12 turns to seat & 14 turns on the front wheels.

Wow! Thx fer the fast responses!

Tires are rubbing the frame ... i can feel it when i accelerate. Car will still roll at idle, but not very quickly.

Is there a secret to replacing the studs with longer ones? Any particular tools required? Previous owner did the fronts already ... only need to do the backs.

Thx again ...

No particular problem installing the new 2" lugs. Easier if you have an impact gun to pull them in but can be done with ratchet and socket.

red ... some1 told me i had to have em pressed in / out by a machine shop! hopefully this isnt true ...

i installed a 5/16th spacer on each side and could turn the lug nut 8 full turns before it stopped. think thats 'good enuff' or should i put those studs on anyway?

dahnka

try
www.jegs.com
or
www.summitracing.com

thats where i got mine, around $12-15 bucks a pair

if you stay anywhere close to Ohio, u should get them in around 2 days flat, with just ground shipping.
Both companies are way fast !
i think they are both owned by the same place tho

do a search for wheel spacers or sumthing:D

sorry to be unclear... i found em at pep boys for $8. installed em already.

my question is "the lug nuts only threaded 8 full rotations: is this safe enough?"

Thx.

I really don't know why there's so much really bad information out there. All you have to do is knock the old ones out with a hammer and pull the new ones in by tightening the lug nut up until it pulls the knurls on the stud, all the way into the axle. I can't say whether you have enough threads taken up. Do this, take a regular lug nut and tighten it and see how far the lug stud comes through. If the stud comes all the way through the lugnut, you're good to go. ;)