wheel size help

.38 special

all spooled up
I know that this topic has been discussed before, but I've done searches and can't find the exact info.
I'm ready to buy some wheels and I'm pretty picky, so the only rims that I like and can afford come in these sizes:

bolt pattern=5x120mm (I've heard this will work from several people. 4.75=120.65mm)

Front: 17x8.5--offset=15mm (so 4.84" backspacing) is that too much backspacing for the front? Will I need a spacer?

Rear: 17x10--offset=13mm (so 5.51" backspacing)

If these won't fit, then I can use the front for the rear and buy these optional for the front.

Front: 17x 8--offset=35mm (so 5.3" backspacing)

I really want the staggered look wider and deeper dish in the rear. I really don't want to modify anything. Will I need spacers? Will the tires stick out too much?
What center bore do I need?
Any help will really be appreciated. Wheel/Tire shops don't help at all--it seems like their knowledge of there chosen profession is very lacking.
sorry so long

I run 17 inch Simmons wheels and the guy at Simmons gave me these dimensions as max backspace for our cars. The front I have 8.5 inch wide with 4.25 inch backspace. The rears are 9.5 inches wide with 4.75 inch backspace, but if I had to do it over again I would get 10 inch wide with a 4.75 inch backspace. Another guy got 9.5 inch with a 5 inch backspace and said that they fit with no rubbing.
Tarey D.

Thanks for posting you guys.
Since I first posted, I made an accurate cardboard cut-out and made some measurements. In the rear there is just over 5 1/2" from the mounting pad to the frame. I just don't know how much to allow for the tire wall sticking out.

The guy with 5" backspacing--what size tire? And does his tire stick out from the fender badly?

I know you can use more than 4 1/4" backspacing in the front because the stock rims are 4 1/2".

So, who is using alot of backpacing in the front? What is the max?

And I still don't know for sure if 5x120mm bolt pattern will work.

Oh Tarey D. let me see some pics.

5 inch backspacing will make your tire go more towards the frame than outside. I think he is running 285 BFG's like myself. How wide do you want to go with in the front?
Sent you some pics.
My front tires stick out about 1/2 inch more than stock because I have the 12 inch disc upgrade.
Tarey D.

Tarey D.,
I just looked at your pics--very, very nice.

This is what I gathered so far. Somebody stop me if I am wrong.

Rear: 17x10 with 5.5" backspacing with 275s'.
If I have to (like I think I will) I will use spacers (up to .5"). But that may make the tire stick out considerably.

Front: 17x8.5 with4.84" backspacing with 235s'.
I think this will work.

I still need to know if 5x120mm will work--or all of this is for nothing.

With 5.5 backspace and 1/2 inch spacer will put you right where you want to be.
The front with that much backspace I don't know about :confused:
Thanks, Tarey D.

Originally posted by .38 special
Front: 17x8.5 with4.84" backspacing with 235s'.
I think this will work.

The steel GN wheel is 15x7 with 4.0" of BS. With 235's, they will rub a little at full lock.

just a little bit then huh? So if I put small spacers on those too, I should have good room right?

Also I still need to know for sure if 5x120mm will work

5x120mm should work. I just checked that measurement on a set of 6 inch dial calipers and 120mm is within .020 inch ( or 20 thousanths of an inch ) of 4.750inches.
Tarey D.

Thanks man, i just did a little research and the Fbody guys have the same bolt pattern and a lot are running these rims as well as some monte carlo guys.

Good enough for me.
I guess I will go ahead and order em'.

Thanks everybody for the help. I have to paint them and get a little paint on the car and paint my new filler panels(a little tree ran behind be when I was backing out of the drive way). But I will post pics and keep everyone informed.
Joseph