What's it worth?

craggar

I have a complete 85 engine with everything including electrical and turbo that I want to sell to a friend but I don't know what it's worth. The motor has 90,000 miles on it and smokes a bit on start up but runs fine. He will be rebuilding it.
Anyone have an idea how much it's worth?
Thanks

I have seen quite a few people try to sell the hot air engine complete, myself included, and nobody wants this engine for some reason. lol Some people on here ask 500 and never get that. You are better off parting it out, but if its your buddy that wants it, and everything is stock on it, I would think 500 to 700 would be acceptable.

Tks fbodlovr, I was hoping it would be worth more but that's ok it'll be going to a good home.

I sold one for $500 .. only took 6 years :rolleyes: NEVER buy another HA car again !!!

I can see why after taking this one for a good drive tonight.:eek: At 21 lbs. boost it's still a dog compared to my 86. You guys are making me feel guilty wanting some money for it from my friend. I'm going to toss in the Snowman alky kit, headers and anything else that he can use. That's got to make it worth $500. right? Even if it smokes.;)

I can see why after taking this one for a good drive tonight.:eek: At 21 lbs. boost it's still a dog compared to my 86. You guys are making me feel guilty wanting some money for it from my friend. I'm going to toss in the Snowman alky kit, headers and anything else that he can use. That's got to make it worth $500. right? Even if it smokes.;)

yup. should be with all that stuff. put my hotair to 21 pounds and it will suprise you. :)

You just stated the exact reason everyone switches to the intercooled setup!! :) OH yeah, I forgot that you mentioned that it smoked. That will put a damper on price.

You just stated the exact reason everyone switches to the intercooled setup!! :) OH yeah, I forgot that you mentioned that it smoked. That will put a damper on price.

the reason everyone goes to an intercooler is because they dont want to spend the time and money to make a hotair go fast. people just want to bolt parts on and go fast.

where is the engine located?

I'm in Alberta Can. but the engine is already gone.

yup. should be with all that stuff. put my hotair to 21 pounds and it will suprise you.

Funny thing, I gave the car to my buddy who works for GM to get the out of Country inspection done and when he brought it back the next night he said the car went sideways shifting into 2nd when he stepped on it going through an intersection.
So before I pulled the engine I had to try it again and he was right, not quite the power of my 86 but I was impressed. The only thing I can think of is that he drove it about 15 miles each way on the highway to his work and back and it must of had fooled plugs that cleaned up while he was driving it.
The motor still needs to be rebuilt but at least my knows it should work good for his project now.

hotair motors

I don't know why people think the Hotair motors suck. As a long block, they are fine. If you put an 87 intake and accessories on them, I can't tell a difference in power between the hotair and 109 blocks. They should be worth almost what a 109 long block is worth. They might not be as tough under racing conditions, but for the street, they are fine.