What would be considered quick spool

OhioC5

Underwear model
How long in seconds or fraction of a second should the turbo spool from "0" boost to say 25 lbs? What would be considered the norm on a well tuned car?

Reviewing my logs my o2 correction with alky is under 3% at WOT, most correction was under 2%. I think the WOT portion of my VE table is pretty spot on. I know 18.5 degrees timing is where my car runs best at WOT. I need to figure out the best timing for the lower VE. I haven't seen any knock in my tune ever. The car seemed to have way less o2 correction with the cutout open. It probably, well, I know it runs a little leaner with it opened up.

I'm ready to get back to the track, get my skirt off and leave the line under boost. I want to see if I can best my 11.72 run. The way the car is running now I think I'll crush it. Last track day the cutout was shut. Next time it's coming open. I'm going to get this in the 10's, unless I run under 11.49 and they toss me. The first run needs to be a good one.

How long in seconds or fraction of a second should the turbo spool from "0" boost to say 25 lbs? What would be considered the norm on a well tuned car?

Reviewing my logs my o2 correction with alky is under 3% at WOT, most correction was under 2%. I think the WOT portion of my VE table is pretty spot on. I know 18.5 degrees timing is where my car runs best at WOT. I need to figure out the best timing for the lower VE. I haven't seen any knock in my tune ever. The car seemed to have way less o2 correction with the cutout open. It probably, well, I know it runs a little leaner with it opened up.

I'm ready to get back to the track, get my skirt off and leave the line under boost. I want to see if I can best my 11.72 run. The way the car is running now I think I'll crush it. Last track day the cutout was shut. Next time it's coming open. I'm going to get this in the 10's, unless I run under 11.49 and they toss me. The first run needs to be a good one.

Every car is different, my TC stalls at 2700 @ 0-1psi and will light my TE44 up from 0-25+psi in way less than 1 second. It also blows tires off if you can't control the right pedal. At BG in 2012, I was able to launch at 10psi, and it hit 25psi almost instantly after I dropped the hammer and released the brakes. Foot brake netted a 1.52 60'. I've done plenty of 1.7x 60's and the 1.5x felt WAY better. I lost 1 mph but had my best ET. Patrick, SloGN, explained that it was an efficient run and I didn't hit my normal mph due to the fact that I was accelerating through the run for less time. Usually mph stays pretty much the same, but when it goes down, it's good b/c you are then launching harder and simply spending less time on the track accelerating.

Thanks for the reply. I need to learn how to launch this thing. If I boost it up over 5 psi the tires blow off the line. I really don't want to run the shocks at 90/10 or pull front sway bar. We still enjoy daily cruises in the car on nice days. I'd like to keep it that way.

I was doing some data log surfing and found .7 sec to go from 11.5 to 28.1 psia. I consider that pretty fast but there are many factors that spool up will be effected by. Hope that helps you a little.

I pulled my front sway bar off and drive mine all the time unless you plan on crazy canyon driving you would be fine also have 90/10 shocks 1.5 60' and still street able

I ended up getting one run and went 11.53, I think I'll try taking the sway bar off just for the track. I see a real low 11 with a better 60'

The question was, "What would be considered quick spool"?
For street, I'd say to have it drive like a stocker or better in stop and go traffic.
For track, I'd say to get your best ET out of your combo.

IMO, the real magic is when you can have both at the same time.;)

Happy Spooling.
Mike Barnard

Yes, I drifted a little off topic. My 6262 spooled to 24-25 lbs in .7 seconds, like Tweaked6 above. The new turbo is a little slower spool but went quicker at the track. Looking at my time slips though the car was quicker in 1/8 too. I'm pretty happy wit how it's running considering I've done nothing to the engine except valve springs.

Yes, I drifted a little off topic. My 6262 spooled to 24-25 lbs in .7 seconds, like Tweaked6 above. The new turbo is a little slower spool but went quicker at the track. Looking at my time slips though the car was quicker in 1/8 too. I'm pretty happy wit how it's running considering I've done nothing to the engine except valve springs.
If you want to experience quick spool,run E85. Quick spool is what gets you addicted to it,not to mention the power you can make with it. If you give the motor the 30% increased fuel that E85 requires,it will make more torque without changing anything else.

How long in seconds or fraction of a second should the turbo spool from "0" boost to say 25 lbs? What would be considered the norm on a well tuned car?.........

My car will spool to 22-23 psi in .4 second leaving at 7-9 psi and a 1.42 60'! :)

The turbo is a TE-70HPQ with a .69 exhaust housing, it performs the same with slicks or street legal drag radials.

I do not drive it on the street much, but it is very drivable and fun, and of course it is licensed and insured!

The car is fueled with e-85, but our summer blend is now e-90.

I am running a tall gear 5.29 and 70mm turbo w 4in DP no exhaust. I picked this thread for some help but my issue is not how fast it spools off the light but cruzin in town boost doesn't kick in until 4000-4500 rpm. How can I make the boost start sooner say 3000 keeping the same hardware turbo th200 ect

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Is 5.29 a mis-print or are you actually running that gear?

Never known anyone with a GN to run more than a 3.90 gear on the street, and even that sucks.

No mention of your converter specs, but it appears your combo is made for hill climbing rather than street driving. :confused:

Hey Nick Yes! Hill climb! I thing the converter is 3800 and yes it's a 5.29 the car was set up for 1/8 mile racing but We don't race the car anymore. Can't I tune in more timing will that help?

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1414099018.497595.jpg

I'm also running 33" tires would shorter tires spool the turbo faster?

You are never going to "tune" that car for the street with those tires and gear ratio unless you add a 75 shot of NOS to get it going?

I have done a couple back-half cars and used a 4.30 gear with big tires which will stretch out the loading on the turbo so it can do its job and stay in its peak power band.

With a 3.42 gear or 3.50's in that 9", 28" or 29" tires, all will work great with a 72mm turbo and your converter.

I may be barking up the wrong tree here but...

Could that gear be so damn low, that the engine is struggling to build exhaust pressure and temp to spool the turbo? Kinda like trying to build boost with the car in park or neutral. Ya can't do it. My first thought is to switch to a 4.11 ish gear and give the engine something to push against.
Anyone, feel free to correct me.

That's what it feels like up to 4500 under light throttle then it takes off like it should. I'll try the gear swap and tires this winter and see. Thanks for the advice.

That's what it feels like up to 4500 under light throttle then it takes off like it should. I'll try the gear swap and tires this winter and see. Thanks for the advice.

I'm always happy to help out. I'm just not sure if my advice was good or bad. Would like to hear feedback from others.
Personally, I think the big tire looks cool. If you've got the power to turn it, keep it. Just get a gear that's more suited to being streetable.