what would be a fair asking price for my 86 gn?

dannyv6

Just trying to figure out a reasonable asking price for my 86 gn
It has 87,000 miles. The engine was professionally rebuilt about 4000 miles ago. Trw pistons, 208/208 cam, steel center caps, double roller timing chain, ported and polished heads, port matched intake. KB 70 mm throttle body and upper, power plate, pt-54, precision front mount, thdp, cottons 3" exhaust, msd 50#, walbro 340 hotwired, adj reg, lubrant chips, 3 core radaitor, translator with impala sensor, vacuum brake conversion. vigalente 9.5 3200 stall, all the goodies in the trans which is in the shop right now being done up. rear seat brace, new springs and brand new blistens not yet installed. Autometer gauges, tach, boost, oil, water and caspers knock. B&M megashifter, and turbolink. Thats about all i can think of right now. I still have all of the recipts form the parts i bought. The car is in good shape, but will need paint. However there is no rust on it.
Help me come up with a good asking price.
Thanks

You need to supply alot more info...

-interior condition

-dents

-overall body/chassis condition (no rust in Illinois??...unless it is/was garaged constantly there probably is some, some where. Maybe not rust through...but some surface)

all these things would make a difference.

One question I'd ask, why is the engine being rebuilt @ 87,000 miles?

Let us know...we'll try (although it is hard) to give you a ball park.

I'm thinking about $100.00 and I'll be up to get it tomorrow.

Look a e-bay and traider to get an idea.

Bottom line is what you want for it. Someone will pay for it, if you have the time to wait on them. Everything and everyone has a price.

If it were mine?

I'd expect a loss on my mods-cost, & know the paint is going to be a major cost to next owner...

Basic ballpark guesstimate for a beginning price?

6000-7000 OBO
----------------------------------------------------------------------

HTH

87k miles and all those mods. If the body was in good shape, you could start at $12k easily. Due to the body needing paint, you'll have to take a loss there. Split the $3000 paint job with the new owner, and I would think $10,500. You probably have close to $20k in it don't you?

I was thinking about $10000. I dont expect to get even close to getting my money out of it. i have about 10000 in it. Interior is nice. I just did the headliner, and put new carpet in it and one of those plastic pieces up by the window.
As for the motor rebuild, i just wanted to do it right the first time. That way i know that it is done right.

If the car is mechanically sound, it sounds as though the determining factor is going to be appearance. I see GNs with under 100k miles on them selling for $8-10k with very little mods.

:confused:

Hmmm, I'd offer between 7-8. Assuming it's in real good condition, but the need of paint is the killer. That'll cost me 4K for a good job done RIGHT.

Where are you located in IL. ?

I was wondering if they are going to start to hold there value more when kept stock. Being 16 years old these cars are getting rare. Mine's an 86 Gn and they only made what 5000 of them?? How many truely stock ones are left maybe 1000 or less ?? That would make them very very Valuable!!!!!

Originally posted by Gn-Krazzie
I was wondering if they are going to start to hold there value more when kept stock. Being 16 years old these cars are getting rare. Mine's an 86 Gn and they only made what 5000 of them?? How many truely stock ones are left maybe 1000 or less ?? That would make them very very Valuable!!!!!

I have a truly stock one!
I feel the same as you GNkrazzie wondering about the 86 value?
I traded a 70 GTO for my GN. It has NO MODS & Low miles.
The seller wanted 14.5k for it. I thought a bit steep for a low optioned GN.
I traded the GTO because the 455 was a NOM & the car was a bear to drive.
I do plane to add some mild mods in my GN but can always put it back or keep the parts in case I ever sell it..