What the...???

ALBERTAN

Resident Window Licker
Anyone else running AutoMeter's new boost gauge with peak/warn memory? I just opened the box on a new Sport Comp 3377 and there's a MAP sensor in it. There is also a pile of coiled up wiring and no visible vacuum line. The instructions are inside, but I don't want to cut the plastic so that I can return it if need be. I should have figured something up when I found the price was quadruple what a normal mechanical boost gauge runs.

As an aside, anyone figure out how Red Armstrong got DS reading boost? The article on Jane's Limited in this month's GMHTP says Armstrong has engineered an interface for DirectScan that monitors boost pressure and charge air temperature. Thanks for any info.

Anyone? I'm actually more interested in an answer to the DS question? Thanks.

there is no vacc line to the guage..just a line to the map sensor that was included. all the guage gets is the wiring from the map.

and yes red has done that. it takes the place of another value...can't remember which....well actually it "shares" it. 1 frame is the normal thing (say maf value) then the next frame is boost...then back to the maf

i don't exactly know how he did it though...i remember a box and a bunch of wiring.

Dean,
I have Been reading boost on the DS for a little while. What I did is used the boost sensing harness from T-Link. Hooking up the harness/wire is real easy. After that is done what you have is boost reading being displayed in the MAT field as a temperature. With the harness hooked up you will only get Manifold pressure (boost/vac) and will no longer get air temp. readings. I then used a Mighty Vac to get some base readings.

For example:

125 deg. = 15psi vac.
7 deg. = 20 psi boost

I dont have the whole table handy but you should get the idea and if you need more info let me know.

HTH

Great info guys. Thanks. I figured that was how it was done. I'lll look into it right away.

Dean, I have that boost gauge and I think it rocks! I love having the memory part of it. The warning light is also good for bracket racing, if you do any of that ;)

Hey Clayton. Yeah unfortunately I bracket race. I'd rather be first to the end and lose than win a round though so I don't seem to have much success. It's a nice gauge and I'll probably just run it. But I think I will hook up this DS/TLink setup so I can log boost during a run. It's just too hard to monitor the boost to the left in the A pillar and the laptop to the right in the PS footwell while trying to keep pointed straight down the track.

If you have the ME-R, the ecm has an input for a 3 bar MAP. DS is capable of reading this from the ecm (as a goofy number, not psi, but the conversion is easy). I have some info on it in a log at home, I'll post it when I get back.

One other thing I heard of which is IMHO an -awesome- idea is using a mechanical gauge... but add a check valve inline. Boom, peak hold boost gauge.