what oil HURT your engine?....the real question!

Every week we get someone in here asking what oil to run and people respond with a million different answers. So the real question is.....has anyone run a certain weight or brand of oil that they feel caused damage to their turbo v6's?

I have been told not to run synthetic oil and i have no personal experience to back this up.

I have run 10w-30 in at least a dozen engines with no oil related failures.

I have run 20w-50 oil and noticed slower spool up. confirmed by switching back to 10w-30.

that is all i have to offer.

i have a feeling this may end up being a quiet thread.

Simple ... any light weight oil :) 10-30

Ive run the heavy oils for a long time in turbo cars ... no issues ... but seen quite a few buicks trashed from lighter oils

Not an engine failure, but Amsoil killed my rear. I replaced the bearings and seals with quality parts and used some Amsoil a buddy gave me. Pretty soon it was making noise so I took it apart and all of the bearings had pitting. I've always run Mobil 1 in everything since the early 90s with no problems. I've heard other horror stories about this crappy stuff from other people as well.

Ivan, what is the reasoning behind you choice of running such a heavy oil?

Mainly the design of the buick engine by itself .. that and I still run Flat Tappet cams .. so the newer light weight oils are taboo

I've found that with a Turbo Buick motor,using the Know Oil "Tall" weight works best. :cool:

Last edited:
I just tried 20w-50 and I would not build any pressure. Newer build under 3k miles. Been running 10w 30. After a couple of tries never built pressure. Went back to 10 230 no problems. I'm sure it's not oil but strange if you ask me

I've always used 5W30. Many years ago I tried some 20W50 and the lifters would tick at start up. I immediately put 5W30 back in to fix the problem and have been using it ever since. The oil didn't cause a failure,but it produced negative results. My concern is that the oil be able to flow easily. I have my main bearings set at .0015" clearance and my rod bearings clearance at .0018"

I have seen a Brad Penn vs E85 failure, non TB though. Oil turned all murky and sludgy.

Have also seen an engine builder claim "failed due to oil" when he installed bearings wrong, so who knows.

I work on hydraulic pumps. Back when, Mobil 1 was what they used. It just worked great. Mobil 1 changed their mix to meet EPA regulations in combustion engines, started seeing bearing failures spike up at less than 700 hours in pumps that would typically last minimum of 2000 hours. Company started making their own oil. Cause is Mobil 1 was not actually a hydraulic oil, just it worked good... Till they modified their recipe. Now Mobil 1 20-50 will start shearing at 250 hours in a hydraulic application. Their oil will last 500 hours till it needs to be changed. The company has been very honest and said if you like Mobil 1, use it, just change it at 250 hours max. More if the application has high heat/load.

Only actual oil related failure I can think of that was purely the oils fault is a company that was buying that cheap ass non rated oil you see at party stores and gas stations in bad areas that specifically states "For use in applications where high oil consumtion is an issue....". It is a non rated oil, doesn't meet ASE standard for oil. They were buying by the case as it was cheap as fuuuuu, but having engines last less than half the rated hours.

Sorry, I am in the outdoor/AG power equipment industry. All the input I have, worthwhile or not.

I have seen a Brad Penn vs E85 failure, non TB though. Oil turned all murky and sludgy.

Have also seen an engine builder claim "failed due to oil" when he installed bearings wrong, so who knows.

I work on hydraulic pumps. Back when, Mobil 1 was what they used. It just worked great. Mobil 1 changed their mix to meet EPA regulations in combustion engines, started seeing bearing failures spike up at less than 700 hours in pumps that would typically last minimum of 2000 hours. Company started making their own oil. Cause is Mobil 1 was not actually a hydraulic oil, just it worked good... Till they modified their recipe. Now Mobil 1 20-50 will start shearing at 250 hours in a hydraulic application. Their oil will last 500 hours till it needs to be changed. The company has been very honest and said if you like Mobil 1, use it, just change it at 250 hours max. More if the application has high heat/load.

Only actual oil related failure I can think of that was purely the oils fault is a company that was buying that cheap ass non rated oil you see at party stores and gas stations in bad areas that specifically states "For use in applications where high oil consumtion is an issue....". It is a non rated oil, doesn't meet ASE standard for oil. They were buying by the case as it was cheap as fuuuuu, but having engines last less than half the rated hours.

Sorry, I am in the outdoor/AG power equipment industry. All the input I have, worthwhile or not.

What oil do you use in hyd pumps now?

I have a question.

There has been a lot of talk about break in oil. I have used break in oil as well.

So. When a new car is built, do they use break in oil to prep the motors like we do?

D

I have a question.

There has been a lot of talk about break in oil. I have used break in oil as well.

So. When a new car is built, do they use break in oil to prep the motors like we do?

D

GM does on SOME engines .. Ford Also does on SOME engines ..

It depends on the OEM and the applications

I picked up my rebuilt engine last week I was told to use only 5w-30 to 10w-40 weight.
Brad Penn was the brand recommended.

I picked up my rebuilt engine last week I was told to use only 5w-30 to 10w-40 weight.
Brad Penn was the brand recommended.

I have a question.

D

I work at a GM Powertrain plant. We make 5 different motors. Including the c7 stingray motor. They all get Mobil 1 full synthetic at the motor plant and are shipped filled to the proper level. All the vehicles that use our motors have the engine oil monitoring system. The system uses many parameters to determine when a oil change is needed. To answer the question. No break in oil is used in the motors we build at our plant.

FWIW Every motor has dye injected with the oil as it is being filled. The dye serves a dual purpose. 1. Is to easily identify leaks. 2. Is for warranty purposes. It is amazing how many people NEVER change the oil in a new vehicle. If there is a failure with the motor the first thing the dealer will do is check for the dye. All failed motors are returned to us for analysis. The lowest mile motor we have received back at our plant for someone not changing the oil had almost 80k on the original oil before a main bearing failed!! We had one that went 100k+. Our rate of failure based on a motor that has to be pulled is approximately 4/ppm that's 4 pulls per million. We build 1.8 million motors per year at our facility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I work at a GM Powertrain plant. We make 5 different motors. Including the c7 stingray motor. They all get Mobil 1 full synthetic at the motor plant and are shipped filled to the proper level. All the vehicles that use our motors have the engine oil monitoring system. The system uses many parameters to determine when a oil change is needed. To answer the question. No break in oil is used in the motors we build at our plant.

FWIW Every motor has dye injected with the oil as it is being filled. The dye serves a dual purpose. 1. Is to easily identify leaks. 2. Is for warranty purposes. It is amazing how many people NEVER change the oil in a new vehicle. If there is a failure with the motor the first thing the dealer will do is check for the dye. All failed motors are returned to us for analysis. The lowest mile motor we have received back at our plant for someone not changing the oil had almost 80k on the original oil before a main bearing failed!! We had one that went 100k+. Our rate of failure based on a motor that has to be pulled is approximately 4/ppm that's 4 pulls per million. We build 1.8 million motors per year at our facility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So may sou d dumb but do they prime the motors?