What kind of miles for break-in?

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
I got the new engine running today - went off without a hitch. No leaks, no fires, no ugly noises. I've got something exhaust related up against something frame related because there's a nasty rattle/vibe, but I consider that minor. Trans pump was making noise, but it was 2 quarts low. I think it's okay now.

It runs awesome. I'm afraid of it again, which is a good thing. When my right foot says jump, it jumps. Hard. The guy that built it tells me he has enough business, so I won't plug him publicly. He knows who he is, and I appreciate the way he does business. I'm very happy with it.

Anyhow, I need to make a trip in the morning - 50 miles each way. All highway, constant speed. For the break-in period, are these good miles, or should I work off the break-in period around town?

TIA,
Jim

Should be fine Jimbo. But try not to hold a steady speed for the whole trip. Go say 55, then 50 then 60, changing RPM as you go, maybe downshift it into low boost, let it upshift, that kinda thing.

Any of the other gremlins disappear?

BTW: Looks like er..our friend hooked you up. Must pull nice with nicer heads huh? What mystery cam? Flat or roller? Knowing him, I think I know what cam....

I would put about 500 to 1000 miles on it make sure that every thing is seated thats what i did i had no problem

Originally posted by TurboJim
Any of the other gremlins disappear?

BTW: Looks like er..our friend hooked you up. Must pull nice with nicer heads huh? What mystery cam? Flat or roller? Knowing him, I think I know what cam....

I'm not sure if the other gremlins disappeared. There's still something not "smooth" about it. But, the downpipe is wedged pretty tight up against the heater box shield so it's hard to tell. I need to make some 'modifications' to it. It clears the floor with plenty of room - just hits the shield. Makes for strange vibes. The poly mounts have it sitting a bit higher than before - I had to tweak my V4 shroud, too.

It was breaking up under boost but it turned out my 16 month old son had tweaked the alky knobs. I had it shut off. I left the kid alone for 3 seconds while I walked around to the other side of the car. It was flooding out. It's cool now.

It pulls awesome with nicer heads - it's nutty. I mean like you-better-be-strapped-in and hold-on-to-the-steering-wheel-real-tight type of acceleration. I've never driven anything like it. I honestly don't know what cam he put in it. It was one of those "trust me" things - he didn't volunteer what it was and I didn't ask. I'm sure it's flat tappet, though. I didn't pay for a roller. Whatever it is, it's quiet. My 206/206 made all kinds of noise (might've been installer error, though).