What is this metal piece in my rear drum?

Jseverin

i have had a terrible clanking noise from the rear passenger side and found this metal piece floating around in my brake drum to be the culprit. Anyone know what it is? I have never messed with brakes before so bear with me if this is a dumb question.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 282
There should be a small spring laying around somewhere in there also that goes on one end of that parking brake strut,if it's not there maybe that is why the strut fell off. Who did the last work on the brakes?

You can get a drum brake kit from the auto parts stores that will have that spring in it. The kit is only a few bucks.

Here is the kit.

http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-...rear/duralast-brake-drum-all-in-one-kit-rear/

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for the replies! Not sure who did them last, have had it about a year in which I have spent most of it deployed so haven't been able to dive in to this thing much. Gonna install a vacuum brake kit from Kirban soon and revamp the brakes while everything is apart. The power master needs to go man, it frankly makes me nervous sometimes.

Been there... once powermaster fears are gone the system is basic! Look into the larger rear wheel cylinder upgrade from the s-10s and just clean everything up while confirming all lines, connections and the proportioning valve!!