What is dual feed ing and how does it work

Going but not sure ill have car back together, blew head gasket putting smack down on suburu wrx and not sure ill have it back togother. crossing fingers got motor togother just need to stick back in car and install trans. but running out of time, you going.

Not sure yet. I might be changing jobs so I am not sure I will have the available fundage. Depends on the new offer.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

This was TURBOBUICK first encounter with the 2004r dual feed concept.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/th...t-shifts-ok-while-cruising.88979/#post-612468

You still using the orificed cup plug in the direct feed in the case as referenced in that thread? Or does the 3-2 control valve mod eliminate the need?

I, like many others, truly appreciate the time that ALL of you pros put into coming on here and helping all the hobby builders get this stuff right. Saves a lot of trial and error

I'll say something that comes to mind here......this is probably the best tech thread I've read here in a long time! Glad to see some good info being put out there.

How many guys have dual fed a stock drum and have it last?

You still using the orificed cup plug in the direct feed in the case as referenced in that thread? Or does the 3-2 control valve mod eliminate the need?

I, like many others, truly appreciate the time that ALL of you pros put into coming on here and helping all the hobby builders get this stuff right. Saves a lot of trial and error
For years the dual feed mods evolved to what they what has become my standardized version.The CK separator plate and leaving off the center lip seal and sealing ring. This works well regardless of 3-2 mod or not and regardless of valve body calibrations. The hole sizes of the present holes and the omission of others have allowed this. Occasionally I hear about tie ups when used with a certain aftermarket servo,but the installation of our 3.005" set up instantly corrects it. What I consider to be my most significant contributions to calibrations effective for high horsepower are the dual feed,the 3-2 control valve mod and the properly specked servo release spring.This is where I found the biggest improvements in the hydraulics realm.Most of my battles with the hydraulics are won at this point in the game. There are always problem children, however. It is great to see that a majority of my modifications are now mainstream 2004R building practices.There are many others out there who have improved the transmission as well,with due respect, but I believe I have perfected the areas I set out to conquer.

I'll say something that comes to mind here......this is probably the best tech thread I've read here in a long time! Glad to see some good info being put out there.

How many guys have dual fed a stock drum and have it last?
I believe transgo kits now have a mellowed out version of the dual feed mod that combined with reduced line pressure and smaller feed orificing ,keeps the drum alive but above 300 horsepower the need to have a specific size hole between the band knock off and direct feed has proven to be mandatory. It is also universal whether it is a 2004r,c4 c6 or a torqueflite. The overlap shift, the engineers dreaded task of keeping it clean at all throttle angles,engine loads, axle ratios and vehicle weights. The 3-2 control valve, the engineers attempt to control the release of the third clutch on a 3-2 kickdown, introduced a unique set of issues on the 2-3 upshift (flaring) etc. due to the infinately variable orificing of band knock off oil under varied operating conditions. It had to go, and I got rid of it.

Im with you sinful, I also was glad to be part of this thread because when we can have conversations like this ,without people getting butt hurt by somebody questioning something somebody said, we can all learn. I havebeen tweaking on cars and airplanes for about 30 years now and I still don't claim to know it all, neither should anybody else when you, do as far as im concerned you've just retired from this industry.

I believe transgo kits now have a mellowed out version of the dual feed mod that combined with reduced line pressure and smaller feed orificing ,keeps the drum alive

Did you ever acquire one of those kits to see how they did it? Irreversibly modifying the case partitions to truly dual feed both the direct side and the reverse side passage thru the center support bolt, no blocking of the bolt hole. Seems like a lot of wasted effort. I snagged a new HD-2a kit off eBay cheap just to satisfy my curiosity. Probably never use most of it.

At least the new kits acknowledge that not all vb codes are the same.

Sure they are ask any of the local trans shops, haha.

This is the best place for 2004r info by far. Keep up the great tech.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

That's because most tranny shops have long moved on.whats sad is that most of them put replacement units in nowadays, you cant even hardly find a dealership guy who will build units anymore.

Did you ever acquire one of those kits to see how they did it? Irreversibly modifying the case partitions to truly dual feed both the direct side and the reverse side passage thru the center support bolt, no blocking of the bolt hole. Seems like a lot of wasted effort. I snagged a new HD-2a kit off eBay cheap just to satisfy my curiosity. Probably never use most of it.

At least the new kits acknowledge that not all vb codes are the same.
I have had a few transmissions come thru here with the kit and converted them over to my method.Not because I didn't trust it, but because I was not interested in figuring out how it worked and then making the decision if I was comfortable with it. Trans go's tech team employs some the brightest individuals in the business in my opinion.
Future upgrades to our kit, which are currently being tested, will assist with transplants issues that arise ,as well as a means of not only calibrating shift quality, but shift scheduling.By scheduling I mean shift timing in the rpm range that was previously, for the most part, fully dependent on the specific valve body and governor in use. These principles have long been incorporated into our builds, but not the kit.