What info is available on a scantool with 84 vs 87 ecm's

84GNGary

Long Time Owner
I did a search but could not find what information is actually displayed on a scantool with the different ecm's. All I have read is that you should convert it over and it will give you more information for tuning, etc, etc, etc. What info does the 86/87 ecm give you on a scantool that an 84/85 ecm don't :confused:
I really do not want to do a conversion, I just want the ability to view the car and see if it is running properly and make adjustments if necessary. Can that be done with the 84 ecm :confused:

Sure the 84 ECM is fine for tuning.

Good info here:
http://gnttype.org/techarea/ecmsensors/8487ecm.html

Summary of benefits:
* Greater chip availability
* The ability to use Tweaker to program you own chips
* Twice the available data from TurboLink (R) in Road Mode
* The ability to use BST-001 Boost sensing option for TurboLink (R)
* 1227148 ECM's are readily available in the "yards"
* Electric fan control available (Optional)

On top of that I don't think the 84 ECM will throw 02 cross counts which are onlybavailable on Scanmaster 2.1's. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It's not enough to just change the ECM though. You should also change the MAF to an 87 at a minimum. The 84 will create driveability problems and runs rich. You should also add a MAT sensor but its not neccessary. I've been driving mine MAT-less for 2 years. It throw a check engine light code 23 but no big deal.

It sounds like for what you are after you are better off keeping it stock.

Hopefully I'll make it to MAGNA this month w/ the GN and we can talk hotair stuff while all the 'cheaters' discuss intercooler topics...haha.

Steve