What Do You Shift A Basically Stock Car At

87grandnat

i have never raced my gn, what do you shift at and how do you do it, i have read that its better to start in 2nd would you shift to 1sst or drive, what rpms would you shift, thanks for any help.

I just leave mine in drive, and let it shift automatically. 5400 RPM's I believe. I am sure you will get different opinions though.

A true stocker with dead valve springs and old tranny will probably shift around 4800 at least my two cars did.

After the spring changes and two tranny rebuilds they shift at aroundt 5100 to 5200 in drive WOT, according to direct scan.

The only bone stock car I've ever raced was my TTA #850 that ran a best of 13.68@100.78 and has 59K miles.Anyway that car if I left it in drive it would shift right about 4700-4800rpm.

The way I raced it I kept it in 2nd gear at launch and it would bring the 1-2 shift up about 500rpm(to 5200)and I would shift it myself into 3rd at about 5000.I'm told that line pressure increases when the selector is in 1 or 2,all I know is it would shift about 500 rpm higher from 1-2.

Steve

Either allow it to shift itself as I do, or at most, shift the 2-3 yourself. Shifts should be shy of or at 5000. Rig up a convertor lockup switch. You'll pick up some time and mph. I lock it from the line. Others folks at different points. Do a search on the subject to see what you like.

Originally posted by salvageV6
A true stocker with dead valve springs and old tranny will probably shift around 4800 at least my two cars did.

After the spring changes and two tranny rebuilds they shift at aroundt 5100 to 5200 in drive WOT, according to direct scan.

You're not implying that worn springs change the shift points are you?

Just curious.