What dealership my GN came from?

Only if you find the build sheet for your car. All turbo Buicks(built between 84-87) were assembled on the Pontiac Michigan assembly line. This was probally the only line that did not hide a complete build sheet on the vehicle and Buick did not keep detailed records. I think your out of luck. If anybody reading this post has found the complete build sheet(not the door and trim build sheet found behind the door trim panels) please let me know as I am trying to gather all the information I can find on these cars for future restoration purposes. Thanks Eric Fisher turbofish38@hotmail.com

when i took my hood liner off to replace it. mine was between the liner and the metal hood. all yallow but in good condition. it has the parts and a code under it.

i have a 84 gn

When I started redo my interior I found my buildsheet behind the back seat. It was a little yellow but in really good shape. All of the numbers are still intact.

Same here, Mine is tucked under the passenger seat. Still there since it also looks like it would fragment if I pulled it out. I am waiting until I have a reason to pull out the passsenger seat before I try and pull it out of the springs.
Sometimes, If you get a good carfax, you can also spot it in there.

Yeah come to think of it I did have some paper fragments hog ringed to the back seat cushion but nothing was left of mine. To bad they didn't hide them all over the place. Take for example the Rivieras I have. Each one of those cars has about 6 hiding everywhere. On top of the headliner,underneath the front passenger seat,underneath the carpet,inside the trunk insulation,on top of the gas tank,behind the rear seat. They are everywhere! Eric Fisher

The nice Riveria's were built in the Linden, NJ Assembly Plant until 1985. I worked at that plant back then. We produced print outs for damn near every assembly and sub-assembly for those cars. Toronado, Riviera, Eldorado all came out of Linden..There was paper everywhere...
After 1985 they turned those beautiful cars into little scateboards..and production was moved to Hamtramck Michigan.

Originally posted by Bama87GN
Is there a way to find out where my GN was originally sold, what dealership?

Thanks
Bass

Interesting how some posts (like this one) can make a total U-turn from the original question ("what dealership was my car sold at"), and for some reason turned into a "where Buicks are built" thread, I'll try and answer your question.

Soooo, since it wasn't addressed, I'll tell you. Unless you can find some kind of paperwork in the car (The original window sticker would certainly be the best source) somewhere that names the dealership you're probably out of luck. Or unless you can find the original owner.

Gee - Sorry turbo Dave - You must be still watching the snow melt if that's all you have to offer..
;)

I offered as much as possible. I certainly can't tell him where his car was sold, any more than anyone else in the thread.
If you look back at his original post, you'll see that his question was, "Is there a way to find out where my GN was originally sold, what dealership?"
I don't think he was asking where Buicks were built.

It wasn't meant to be snotty, but far too many posts have been going astray lately. Just trying to keep things in line, sorry you took it the wrong way.

I guess that's why I'm called the "cranky moderator" ;)

You could do a title search all the way back to the original owner. I've done them and if memory serves me correctly, you get the filing paperwork too. That could quite possibly show the original dealer. Likely you'd only have to go through about 3 states; cost is around $10 - $25 per state. Takes time but they'll do it with the proper forms. Nice piece of the puzzle to add to your car file too.

TurboDave, For those of use who dont have the convience of having a window sticker for our cars the only other place that I know of to find the original ordering DEALER is to find a copy of the build sheet. I assume you have never seen a build sheet? It contains all types of info about a car including the dealer who ordered the car. You could go through the time and expence of CarFax and title searches but these are not foolproof. I personally have never done a CarFax but have heard they are incomplete and on the title search what if your vehicle was what is called a dealer transfer? The original ordering dealer sells the car to a dealer across state(very common on TRs due to Buicks ordering policy) the certificate of origin sometimes goes to the dealer who sells the car. I my have not been clear on my post but all I was offering was the cheapest(no money involved) and easiest(go out and look in the car) approach to the question. Eric Fisher

Isn't there a service where you email the vin, they will send you a copy of the window sticker?? Would this show the dealer for him??

The only ones I have heard of are for Pontiacs and Corvettes built in Bowling Green. You know there is probally a bunch of papers filed away in some storage room at Buick and only if someone had the time and influence ...... Eric

Go to any Buick dealership and give them your VIN # and ask for a recall printout. It will have codes that show what dealer did the work and some show original point of sale. You will need a service rep that will take out the time and look for you.

TURBOFISH38

Not sure the Buick Headquarters in Flint Michigan is still active. A few years ago GM had an initiative to move all the car folks from all divisions into the Tech Center in Warren Michigan, which basically means the possabilities of coming across paper work from Buick may be even further diminished.

The dealer idea above sounds like a good one...
My local Buick dealership has a parts guy who treats me real well and loves the GN's. If you want to send me your VIN in a PM, I will take a shot at finding out what I can...

I work at a dealer and could run a vis on you car and tell you. PM me your vin and I will give it a try

check the window sticker ;)

actually i contacted www.gmcanada.com and they sent me a whole packet of info including the original build date, ship date, dealer it was shipped to, aswell as all the RPO codes broken down and my name at the top so it looks like i was the original owner.