What aftermarket shifter is the best for the GN?

fast86gn

Texas Moderator
Staff member
I'm wanting to go with a aftermarket shifter and keep the stock console. Does anyone have a opinion on what shifter works best?

The car still get plenty of street duty if thats makes a difference.

Everyone I have spoken to says Quicksilver! :smile: That pretty much makes it a easy choice. Thanks

I know a few guys have shoe horned the slap-stick style shifter out of the Hurst Olds into their turbo buick, but as I recall it takes a bit of fabbing to get it just right.

I know a few guys have shoe horned the slap-stick style shifter out of the Hurst Olds into their turbo buick, but as I recall it takes a bit of fabbing to get it just right.

I have actually seen that in one GN but didn't like the way it looked. :eek:
Can't remember if the console was changed or not to make it fit?

David,
Are you wanting to shift it? or just replace the shifter?

I'm partial to the b&M street bandit for a street car, non ratchet shifter.

Attachments

• streetbandit.jpg
    streetbandit.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 252
David,
Are you wanting to shift it? or just replace the shifter?

I'm partial to the b&M street bandit for a street car, non ratchet shifter.

I'm just tired of the POS handle, the cable is now stretched it's real sloppy.
The tranny is great (just redone) the shifter really sucks.
I want a nice looking shifter that performs with the stock console.

Anybody have some pics of the QuickSilver in a GN?

Also, I am guessing the "Console QuickSilver" is the one to go with (Part # 80688 on B&M's site)?

There is a pic of the quicksilver toward the bottom of this link. I have the same setup, difference is a shifter handle from TR Custom. Came out very clean!! Small amount of fab work getting the shifter handle because it is not threaded for the quicksilver. Two ways to do, either just tighten the set screw extemely tight, or for a more secure connection epoxy a nut into the shifter handle.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/254707-shifters-pics-installs-please.html

It took a bit of fabbing to get it right but here is my Pro Stick from B&M.

Attachments

• IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 313
Well my pick isn't really considered aftermarket but the " HURST Lightinng Rods" I have in my GN are killer looking. If I can dig up the pic I'll post it. The GN used to have a B&M MegaShifter in it.

Well my pick isn't really considered aftermarket but the " HURST Lightinng Rods" I have in my GN are killer looking. If I can dig up the pic I'll post it. The GN used to have a B&M MegaShifter in it.
I'd like to see the Lightning Rod setup you've got.