Weird starting

Wknight13

Using an external pump...hard to start. I have to prime it for several seconds, still will not start until I open intake and spray card cleaner or starting fluid in. Once in it will crank a few and then starts. Runs great after that until I shut down. After a hour, I have to do the same process again. Very frustrating. I have a Walbro to put in, thinking it may be the pump, but it runs great when started.

K, roger that.

Tell me a little about how the external pump is wired. Does it still use the factory relay? Also is the oil sending unit still in tack and plugged in?

RL

K, roger that.

Tell me a little about how the external pump is wired. Does it still use the factory relay? Also is the oil sending unit still in tack and plugged in?

RL

Hotwired to different relay. key on pump activates a couple seconds, then at ignition turnover pump stays on, but is not starting. I do have to 'pump' the gas with accelerator. This process does take a while and I know I'm not doing the starting system any favors with this. I still don't understand why the spraying of the carb cleaner helps ignite and then starts. Is the carb cleaner more volatile in that once ignited the regular fuel follows suite?

I can't say for sure about the oil sending unit. I purchased the car with this setup two years ago and it progressed to this point. It wasn't uncommon for two-three 'priming key turn-ons'. A larger fuel supply line was installed and the return line is the original supply line. Not wondering if this could be an issue and not allowing constant pressure...Physics says that pressure decreases as the resistance decreases (R being the larger diameter supply line). The pump is installed higher than the tank (no other way to get it lower) as it is supposed to be a gravity feed. Would a check valve help this or am I going in the wrong direction?

Sounds like a restriction on the inlet side of the pump. Do you have a pre filter? Could also be sucking air. Got enough fuel in the tank?

RL

Sounds like a restriction on the inlet side of the pump. Do you have a pre filter? Could also be sucking air. Got enough fuel in the tank?

RL
Just tried getting the car running for the year...no go. Same issue's.. But now it will not even run. I pulled the inlet fuel supply off and am getting fuel to go. Put it back on and nothing. Now when I spray carb cleaner into intake it will start but then dies, fuel does not seem to be getting into rail at all. I'm not getting any pressure to the gauge at end of fuel rail, at any time (brand new Kirban rail gauge)...Could I be having a regulator issue? How to test? this sucks....Not a way to start the 25th anniversary season.

If the fuel pump is cycling but no fuel is being moved I would have to say there is a problem in the tank. Maybe the line between the pump and the sender has become disconnected.

I don't think it's the regulator.

I took the supply line off at the fuel rail inlet, activated the pump and gas became present. Re-connected and nothing was moving through, no pressure is building at all (as seen at end of rail gauge).