Voltmeter in place of dummy light

Looks good Wendy! Did you use the 3 wire or the 2 wire? Did you ever get your trans am wheels powder coated?

Looks good Wendy! Did you use the 3 wire or the 2 wire? Did you ever get your trans am wheels powder coated?

Thanks. I used the two wire. After I got it I kinda wished I went with the three wire but this will work just fine. The wheels are out getting done. I don't think they're being powder coated, I believe they are getting painted.

He is painting them. As far as I know they are getting sprayed this weekend. Well that was his plan as of last week. I am excited too, he wouldn't let me see them, well I couldn't get me wheelchair into his work area, lol

Ok I ordered the three wire green LCD 0.28" display. $3.13 shipped and it'll match my digital dash. Little winter project for me. I would have loved to put a temp gauge in like this but all the ones they sold were too large

On a side note my god that site sells some random shit. I can get an LCD temp gauge, iPhone case, and a crotchless leather one piece dominatrix outfit. Wtf

I wonder if the display will fit in the switch opening of an ashtray switch panel.

(please excuse my rudimentary rendering)

Volt-Ash.jpg

You're just now getting the car back together and already turning 5 grand in the garage?

:p

Couple questions. I am in the process of doing this now. I used nail polish remover on the dash panel and it removed the tinting just fine but it left the lettering. Doesn't seem to touch it. Any suggestions? My wife's nail polish remover is an acetone free one, would this make a difference if it had it?
Also just one verification. The positive line, I just run that and hook it up on the positive side of the battery? That's it and it will read the volts?

Acetone free in this application is not a good thing. Run the positive line to a switched 12v source with the 2 wire units. You can run the three wire units straight to the battery

+1 You have to use the acetone stuff. That is what I used. It took a bit of time but eventually the letters did come off.

Okay, another question. I have it all wired up and it just stays on. Red- Pos wire directly to battery positive, Black ground to ground, White to switched source. Even when ignition is off the gauge reads 0.o but it has a read out. Turn the key and it jumps and acts like it should. What am I doing wrong? I don't want to have a constant draw even this slight.

"Red- Pos wire directly to battery positive"
This is why it stays on constantly. Its getting 12v directly. The red wire should be wired to a 12v switched source that turns it on when you turn the key. I believe I connected the white wire to the green terminal near the alternator instead of a switched source.

Thanks guys! I read thru this thread a couple times and still had troubles. Maybe I need to have my 10 year old tell me what to do. again.....