Voltmeter in place of dummy light

Has anyone thought of running this setup tapped into their Hotwire setup near the tank? Kind of to check voltage to the fuel pump?

I'm considering this. I have this gauge ready to install and a new Hotwire kit also ready to go in. Thinking of making it one project.

I went for something different by tucking it into the ash tray area.

(The switch is for the aux input for iPod/mp3. It is an iSimple IS-31 FM antenna bypass. When the switch is on it uses 87.9 as the channel for my signs input. Works great, it's all hidden and a simple installation. Amazon for under $30.)

-Greg

Attachments

• 1432869182923.jpg
    1432869182923.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 238
From previous posts I've read, the two wire meter shows you voltage inside the car, which is less than at the battery. The third (white) wire hooks directly at the battery.

It's pretty much the same story as you guys… I used the two-wire meter and I don't understand what's the difference or if there is an advantage in using the three-wire meter?

Two wire: Black is ground, red is used to power to meter and also gives the voltage of the source powering the meter.
Three wire: Black is ground, red is used to power the meter, white is used to measure the voltage. This could be handy if you want to measure a voltage somewhere other than where you are powering the meter.

Two wire: Black is ground, red is used to power to meter and also gives the voltage of the source powering the meter.
Three wire: Black is ground, red is used to power the meter, white is used to measure the voltage. This could be handy if you want to measure a voltage somewhere other than where you are powering the meter.
Ok thanks for explaining…
Claude.;)

Why not use the 2 wire and just run the wire to the most important thing you want to measure? Like the fuel pump.

Why not use the 2 wire and just run the wire to the most important thing you want to measure? Like the fuel pump.

Legitimate point. :) For our cars the 3 wire may be overkill since most of the voltages we want to measure are usually around 12v.

It could be handy in other applications where the voltage you want to measure is lower or higher than the gauge activation voltage.

-M