vin tag fix

typetmkp

HI everybody! new to list but not to turbo buicks. Need help. I need to replace my vin tag bracket and vin tag. My 87Gn was stolen several years back and I am finally to the point of geting it back on the road! the problem is the vin tag and bracket were pry'd off. how do I replace it? Does anybody have the answer to this sensitive Q? can someone post som pics of there vin bracket area so I can see what it looks like I dont even remember. Thanks for the help.

You need to consult your states department of motor vehicles and find out exactly how to proceed. It is a crime to tamper with vin tags...period! You have to jump through specific hoops to ensure you are legal in this regard. It may be as simple has bringing your vehicle down to the local DMV and having a vin inspection done, or the assigning of a vin by the state. If you don't, and you get pulled over, you are likely to end up in jail, your vehicle impounded, and you having to pay the state lots of money.

Here are two pics. The first one is from the back side. Notice the two rivets. The second pic is the VIN tag from an 85 Hot Air T-Type. If you are missing the tag than you are screwed. All the state will do is issue you a generic number and tag that is usually riveted to the drivers side door jamb by the striker. If you have the original tag you can use pop rivets to reattach it. You just need to remove the windshield to di it right.

Attachments

• G-Body VIN Tag.jpg
    G-Body VIN Tag.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 750
  • Hot Air VIN Tag.jpg
    Hot Air VIN Tag.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 673
Hi,
InTexas, the police have better things to do than throw a law ibiding person in jail because their vin plate looks fishey.Most cops don't look past the registration and inspection stickers,unless you piss them off.How's you glass looking? If you want to do this right,as was mentioned earlier,pull the windshield.Of course, this leaves the problem of what to rivet on there. I assume the A holes that stole your car didn't have it lying around in the glove box or something.I would fabricate my own.Of course, you have the title,so you know the vin. a set of alpha numeric punches, like machinists use, will work.A little elbow grease, and you are on your way.There is no fraud here, just damage repair.

If your car is a thieft recovery then the insurance should have given you proper docs with police reports. You will have to go to the DMV and as turbofish said it will be placed in the door jam area. The vin plate my have been taken out by the insurance company adjustor to sell car at auction.

i am in indiana my car was a theft recovery and it has a generic vin tag on the dash now, boy i would love to replace it with a regular vin tag to bring back the value of my gn.

Hi,
I reiterate; make your own. We are talking about a piece of steel or aluminum about 2.5 inches long and 7/16 inches wide. You can fabricate 10 of them out of a 6X6sheet of steel, see which one looks best, and destroy the rest.This is NOT fraud, only repair.

Hi,
I reiterate; make your own. We are talking about a piece of steel or aluminum about 2.5 inches long and 7/16 inches wide. You can fabricate 10 of them out of a 6X6sheet of steel, see which one looks best, and destroy the rest.This is NOT fraud, only repair.

Son, you got no clue what you're talking about. ;)

VIN's, VIN placement by the automotive manufacturers, standardization, vin tampering, vin crimes, etc is controlled by the federal government. The fed's mandate the rules concerning vin's, and all state's will have VERY similar laws as far as they are concerned. All states must comply with federal standards, so that all auto manufacturers comply with all state laws. Tampering with a VIN is a violation of federal law, and therefor a violation of state law. If the states did not comply they would lose the almighty federal highway dollars. Do you get the sense I have an insiders knowledge on this stuff? :D

Please take my advise so that you don't get in trouble. A few hours of extra work will keep you on the up and up with johnny law dawg.

Hi,
I guess you have elaborated your position.I don't personally see the harm in fabricating a replacement VIN tag.It could be verified by the DMV, or what ever.I understand that a window for fraud exists, but this could be erased by proper authorities verifying the car's ID. Any further comments?

my car is titled with the reissued vin i just cant make another, what would be the difference between doing a re-body or just taking a vin tag and title from a totaled or parted car and putting it on mine?

I once had a bike frame polished & they sanded the Vin off I then restamped it myself... Big mistake $4000 on lawyer & ended up with 3months community service.. For tampering & or altering A vehicle vin..

But i know for A fact I seen a Vin taken of a gnx and put on another body.. I read about it on this forum..

I myself have a GN Vin & driver Door That match .. It's off a clean title car.. I was gonna sell it on ebay is it illegal to sell a vin ??

yes, it's illegal to sell a vin tag- and ebay will pull the auction as soon as they find out about it.

as for the OP- do you ahve the actual vin tag, and just need ot put it back on the car? if not, then don't evne screw around.
i don't know what the laws are where you live, but here in MN when a car is stoen, they issue a new vin and affix it to the driver's side door jam. they take the original vin plate in the dash totally off. i found this out on a 94 Chrysler LHS i had- the vin tag on the dash was gone, but there was MN issued vin tag in the door jam- and it was the original factory vin number. which made me wonder why they even bothered to take the one out of the dash in the first place, unless the thieves took care of that one.

I purchased a very nice 86 Turbo T that was a theft recovery. The original VIN tag was removed by the theives. The State of Florida DMV inspected the car and riveted a State issued VIN tag on the door hinge pillar.

I obtained a replacement VIN tag from GM. They supervised the installation of the TAG. The Windshield does NOT have to be removed. But you do need to unbolt and drop the dash down. There are special "Roset" rivets that GM also provided. It is a crime to possess the special rivets.

After I got the replacement GM VIN tag, I consulted the State of FL and removed the FL tag.

I provided the proof of ownership and everything they needed to make this happen. I don't know if they still do this, but there has to be some GM process to provide replacement VIN tags.

Don't just take the dealer's word for it......contact GM and Ask!!! You might need to be persistent and they won't make it easy......but I'll bet you will get what you need.

i am in indiana my car was a theft recovery and it has a generic vin tag on the dash now, boy i would love to replace it with a regular vin tag to bring back the value of my gn.

As the smarter members here have stated, DO NOT ALTER THE VIN unless you have received direction from the BMV or State Highway Patrol. You have to make sure that you're on the right side of the law. If you get pulled over, most police will check the vin of a car this notorious for being stolen.

Bring back the value of your GN? DO you have a clean or rebuilt/salvage title? If you have a non-original title, nothing you do to the vin will bring back it's value.

Dont Touch It!! Up here in Canada you even look at it the wrong way & you get a lawyers bill from the aggravation it causes you. I know this for a fact! I would not even consider touching it unless you go exactly by the rules in your area & even then make sure you follow them 100% Not worth the hassle!!

Hi,

maybe not in texas-------but in NC what you are suggesting is big time fraud and guaranteed jail time along with hefty fines-----and when you get out of jail i can tell you for sure that in our state you can NEVER EVER become a licensed car dealer if you have been convicted of this crime-------and if i am not mistaken its somewhat controlled by the feds which would make it universal no matter what state--------that "easy to make" badge would be really expensive to tool up to make-------no machinists punch would even come close to reproducing it------and if you look close the entire background of the tag is embossed with the GM letters a couple dozen times-------i can spot a real one from ten feet away-------and in my state its also illegal to even posses any of the rosette rivets------try making a pair of them--------just tooling up to counterfeit the rivets would cost thousands and could land you in big trouble for all the effort---------any DMV officer can spot them from ten feet i know for sure--------its part of their schooling to look for this stuff........RC

I once had a bike frame polished & they sanded the Vin off I then restamped it myself... Big mistake $4000 on lawyer & ended up with 3months community service.. For tampering & or altering A vehicle vin..

But i know for A fact I seen a Vin taken of a gnx and put on another body.. I read about it on this forum..

I myself have a GN Vin & driver Door That match .. It's off a clean title car.. I was gonna sell it on ebay is it illegal to sell a vin ??

in NC it is lllegal to posses a vin tag apart from a car------our law requires you to turn it in to the DMV as a "scrapped vehicle" along with the title-------i can imagine most states are also this way....RC

ok say you were restoring your gn and your shell was rusty or unrepairable and you had to replace the shell with another, what vin tag would you use? say the shell you used was from a regular regal.
i am talking body off frame.

ok say you were restoring your gn and your shell was rusty or unrepairable and you had to replace the shell with another, what vin tag would you use? say the shell you used was from a regular regal.
i am talking body off frame.

The one the Govt tells you to use! They would have rules about it so just follow them, but dont start making fake plates etc. Thats Trouble in any country!