Versatile, small tool kit?

70-71-72

What is a good bet for a take it with you, easy to carry case, contains everything you need for a decent price tool kit? :confused:

I have my tools at home but I hate carrying around my whole toolbox while looking for "stuff" at the junkyard. I hardly ever have anything in particular in mind, just looking for stuff I can use. Because of that, I never know what I'll need. I'd like to get a kit with channel locks or vise grips, sockets, screw and nut drivers, maybe a hammer to clear that unneeded piece out of the way ;)

You get the idea; a versatile, well balanced tool kit to use at the junkyard or keep in the car. I'd prefer not to get a junky Harbor Freight or Taiwan Tool kit, something with some quality but doesn't have to be Snap On either.

I have a small canvas bag that I use when there are no wheelborrows to use when I want to lug around my 50 pound "pit box". I usually carry this combination:
T15 Torx driver
#2 Phillips
slot screwdriver
Vise-Grips-medium
needle nose/wire cutter combo
1/4" ratchet with 7/32,1/4,7mm,8mm and 6" extension
3/8" ratchet with 3/8,1/2,9/16,10mm,13mm,15mm,6" extension
1/2" ratchet with 1/2,9/16,5/8,3/4,15mm,18mm,6" extension
3/8-7/16,1/2-9/16,10mm,13mm,15mm box wrenches

I have found that this is usually enough to pull any "impulse" parts I might find on any G-body or late model GM car. If I'm going after something more specific like a motor or brake part than I load up the pit box.

turbofish38 said:
I usually carry this combination:
T15 Torx driver
#2 Phillips
slot screwdriver

I got one of those 10-way screwdrivers that's great for this. 4 sizes of torx, big and little slotted, big and little Phillips, and a 1/4 and 5/16" nutdriver in one tool. That and a crescent wrench are the minimum I try to walk through the local u-pull-it with. Next steps up are pretty much like Eric said.

I got the screwdriver as a free gift at a trade show; the company that sells them is http://www.sisweb.com/tools/screwdri.htm. Also great to keep in the glovebox. Since this is sounding like a sales pitch :)-)), I'm not affiliated with sis but have been friends with the owners for about 25 years.