variable geometry turbo veins

smoove mood

Oh Baby I Like It Raw
I was talking with a friend and he mentioned turbos that have variable geometry turbo veins :eek:and what they did. I was wondering if anybody knows if these are avialible for the buicks becuase it sounds like it would be a good up grade to have one

These turbo's exist but are used mostly in the HD diesel world. There are a few types. The two more popular designs are the vairiable vane type that Garret was producing and the variable sliding nozzle style that Holset produced. Based on my knowledge and personal experience testing with these turbo's, I would say the Holset style was the most reliable type. They require a lot of complicated computer controls to make them work. It will probably be a while before there is a demand for this technology in race car use.
As of now, the traditional wastegated turbo nad the addition of ball bearings is more than sufficient for performance use and much less complicated.
Allan G.

FWIW...Veins carry blood through your body. Turbo wheels have vanes.
Conrad

porsche has been running them for a few years

. . . And erroneously claimed to be the first production car to use the technology. Sorry, the 1989 Shelby CSX was the first, followed by a handful of Daytonas, LeBarons, and Shadows in 1990.

U.S.A.: 1
Germany: 0