Vacuum setup...

Robbie-87plz

Junior Boost-Head
A lil help here guys...I think I need the following items for a swap. Help me out if I'm missing anything please.

1987 Buick N/A:
Master cylinder
Vacuum booster
Brake pedal assembly

From there, it's pretty much plug n play, well almost right?
Should I get a certain size vacuum booster canister thing? I'm assuming the larger it is the more vaccum it holds, or can't we get a larger one there?

You need a billet vacuum block (available at Caspers, Kirban, Johns Performance, etc..), with the extra port for the vacuum brakes. Alternatively, you could install a vacuum tee inline between the PCV,and the existing vacuum block. I prefer the billet block. :) No need for a vacuum can with either set up. :cool:

Make sure that the booster holds vacuum before installing!! BTDT!

Geoff had a remanufactured one from CHECKERS... and it didnt work...

Stew, you out there???

Brake booster

Just make sure to check it out BEFORE installing. I didn't!

Re: Checkers that bad?

Originally posted by Robbie-87plz
Did Stew try one from Checkers also?

No, Stew has his parts car at his house...

Stew

Selling the pedal assembly?
Geoff-How can I check the vacuum booster? By ensuring the flap works?
John- How long have you been on vacuum and do you like it?

Re: Stew

Geoff-How can I check the vacuum booster? By ensuring the flap works?

You can hook up a hose to the check valve ( the round shape thingy with the hose connector) on the booster. You can either use a vacuum pump (like a Mity-Vac), or connect it temporarily to a vacuum source while the engine is running -although I have never tried the latter...... Once the vacuum source is applied, the booster should hold it until it is released. Pull the round check valve thing out of the booster. It should suck in air when you do. if you hear a hiss, then the booster is no good (assuming that the check valve & grommet are good).

Re: Stew

Selling the pedal assembly?

I am soooo sorry...I didn't know my name got dropped! What is it that you need to make it work? I do have a single booster, m/c and pedal assembly. stew

Re: Re: Stew

Originally posted by stew'86MCSS396
I am soooo sorry...I didn't know my name got dropped! What is it that you need to make it work? I do have a single booster, m/c and pedal assembly. stew

sorry stew,

I forgot to mention that when you stopped by the other day...

my bad

MAHALO STEW...

Well guys? what else do I need? Have the following:

TTA vacuum block on order from Johnsperformance.com
pedal setup from Stew...

Do I need the NA Buick vacuum booster or will the Monte's work?
Do I need any hardware to attach the pedal or will the hardware I have now work? :confused:
I'm researching this as we speak so don't think I'm asking for free info :p :D

You have everything you need (except the vacuum block).

Is the pedal assembly from Stew attached to the bracket? if so, leave it and swap the entire bracket/pedal in place of the old one.

Along with the 4 bolts on the firewall there will be 1 more (?) on the top of the bracket. Socket size I beleive is 15mm for all.

Take out the drivers seat to make the swap easier. :)

I can "T" in the vacuum line for now right? Will the Monte Carlo's booster fit/work? What about the line going into the booster?

Originally posted by Geoff87
You have everything you need (except the vacuum block).

Is the pedal assembly from Stew attached to the bracket? if so, leave it and swap the entire bracket/pedal in place of the old one.

Along with the 4 bolts on the firewall there will be 1 more (?) on the top of the bracket. Socket size I beleive is 15mm for all.

Take out the drivers seat to make the swap easier. :)

the 4 holding the booster to the firewall are 15MM the one at the top of the bracket is 13MM and to facilitate this you may need to lower the steering column to do it... (15 MM as well)

Originally posted by HI85WH1
the 4 holding the booster to the firewall are 15MM the one at the top of the bracket is 13MM and to facilitate this you may need to lower the steering column to do it... (15 MM as well)

Thanks Rob. I forgot about the column.... :eek: I vaguely remember doing that.... :D

Oh yeah. Don't forget to be careful of the switches on the bracket as well.....

The switches on which bracket? So the larger single diaphram will work? Thanks guys...Operation Stop Now will begin tomorrow...