V8 vs V6

In stock form the LS motors cant be beat.

If one were compare the classic association with Darth Vader with Turbo Buicks and the dark side, then the good side must be V8 LSX power. We all know Darth Vader's conflict within. He started out with V8's (the good side) before the dark side of Turbo 6's. There will be a day when he is saved and rejoins the good side.

Myself, I have had this conflict for 10 years, my almost stock '01 Z06 runs 12.50's all day long without even trying, while the Buick's engine has been rebuilt twice in that timeframe and although faster, the Buick spends much of its time on jackstands... Someday I may put the T back to stock and drop in a TT 427 in my Z06, but first, the dark side has to go out and run some numbers putting a lot of cars on the trailer:eek:

Do any of you guys get Hot Rod magazine? If not, you should, it's pretty good for how cheap it is.

Latest issue they tried to see how much power an LS engine would take using all stock parts in the short block. They used a 4.8/5.3 junkyard engine.

1200hp. No lie :biggrin:

Do any of you guys get Hot Rod magazine? If not, you should, it's pretty good for how cheap it is.

Latest issue they tried to see how much power an LS engine would take using all stock parts in the short block. They used a 4.8/5.3 junkyard engine.

1200hp. No lie :biggrin:

Somebody on this board is going to send you some anthrax for saying such things :biggrin:

That 4.8 build was epic! Also what's wrong with a 160k+ 5.3? We have a 6.0 out of a work truck with that on it and 15psi with no blow by issues or oil consumption, the 5.3 we used to run also had comparable miles. I had the heads off my truck's 270k mile 5.3 to do the early 5.3 head gasket bulletin and it still had cross hatching and no ringlip. The truck is run hard and has absolutely no engine issues and no oil consumption or leaking. This engine looked better at 270k than the 30k mile buick block I used on my last build which as expected leaks....ugh.. just a piece of mind.

Dan

MG]
Somebody on this board is going to send you some anthrax for saying such things :biggrin:

LOL for sure!!! and a certain V6 engine building guru will come in here and say he can build a V6 Buick for less and get more reliability.
jerkitsmiley.gif

LOL for sure!!! and a certain V6 engine building guru will come in here and say he can build a V6 Buick for less and get more reliability.
jerkitsmiley.gif

Dunno who the engine guru will be, but they will probably say it will be faster too.

Honestly the only reason I will ever miss having a Buick v6 in my car is when I go WOT and it doesn't make that god-awful buzzing sound. I love the hell out of that sound.

Other than that, having an engine that weighs about the same, make more power on less boost, you can tune yourself, has a lot of aftermarket parts, can be found for $1000, has 6 bolt mains, heads that flow better than a stage 2, and doesn't piss oil all over my garage floor...I think I can make the tradeoff just to lose the buzzing sound.

Dunno who the engine guru will be, but they will probably say it will be faster too.

Honestly the only reason I will ever miss having a Buick v6 in my car is when I go WOT and it doesn't make that god-awful buzzing sound. I love the hell out of that sound.

Other than that, having an engine that weighs about the same, make more power on less boost, you can tune yourself, has a lot of aftermarket parts, can be found for $1000, has 6 bolt mains, heads that flow better than a stage 2, and doesn't piss oil all over my garage floor...I think I can make the tradeoff just to lose the buzzing sound.

Yes, I think in the near future we will see the LSx and other V8's being raced at Buick events because it is becoming very clear the race classes are dead because most of the racers are getting smart and moving on to a better platform. With the piss poor turnouts in TSO and TSM and all the hype that the right guys running the classes will fix the problem with attendance this year which was proven wrong the organizers have to look toward some other way to keep this going.

Yes, I think in the near future we will see the LSx and other V8's being raced at Buick events because it is becoming very clear the race classes are dead because most of the racers are getting smart and moving on to a better platform. With the piss poor turnouts in TSO and TSM and all the hype that the right guys running the classes will fix the problem with attendance this year which was proven wrong the organizers have to look toward some other way to keep this going.

The v6 buick is still a hell of a platform, and it will always be legendary. It was well ahead of its time, and just the fact that it's still a viable platform well over 20 years later speaks to that.

You just can't stop technology though. If you want to keep up, you have to evolve.

Well I would not lay the v6 dead yet Pete at HED who built my motor and the motor in vader and the fastest single turbo radial car el diablo just put Jamie Hacking in the 4's in x275 trim with his new HED built v6.

Well I would not lay the v6 dead yet Pete at HED who built my motor and the motor in vader and the fastest single turbo radial car el diablo just put Jamie Hacking in the 4's in x275 trim with his new HED built v6.

Bad ass!

Did it do this at Valdosta? I was going to stop by and talk to Jamie but never slowed down enough to swing by.

I don't know why this is even a debate. Do what ever works for you. We work hard, we play hard. If you want a V8 in your car, you owe no explanation to anyone as to your reasoning. Life is short, live it the way YOU want. Happy motoring to all.

I for one would never put an ls motor in a Turbo Buick. In any other Gbody, sure. I agree that the ls motor is a great motor and is cheaper when it comes to a certain reliable et. Is this argument going on at the supra boards??? Are they debating putting ls motors in their rides? I think the 6 in the Supra is more expensive than our motors to build so by that logic, they should be putting ls motors in their cars as well. Whats all this junkyard talk? Ive seen 4.6 4v motors that are supposedly 700-1000 hp capable go for 500$ (Lincoln mark3s)so are they too a more practical replacement for our TB motors?

As I stated in the other thread, count me in the no V8 in an original Turbo Buick. However, If like the OP I bought one already hacked and I just wanted to go fast then whatever makes you happy.

Owning a shop and building tons of LS cars I can guarantee you anyone that thinks they are gonna take a stock LS, throw a turbo on it and make 1000hp for very long is smoking crack. As has been mentioned, minimum of good bolts all around especially head fasteners, rods and pistons will have to be changed if you want it to live. If you scored an LS9 or LSA which are ALREADY boosted then you could do it with a "stock" motor but then you might as well build a S2 for the price of those, even used. However, there is no doubt, the LS block and crank will take 4 digit HP easily. The heads with mild port work will squeeze you into that territory but you'll need some high boost pressure to do it. A set of AFR type LS heads and it gets alot easier. I love the LS motors but am a realist. I love my Buicks but am a realist.

I have a rule when it comes to this: 10's or slower, just stay V6 as it can be done reliably with that motor and you don't have to cut the hell outta the car to make it handle 10 second power easily. Bolt ons which can be removed will get you there. Single digits? Go v8 if you have a tight racing budget and can't go S2. At that point with all the cage, drivetrain and other work necessary why destroy a perfectly good GN when you can get a Regal and some parts with the money you got selling a GN to a collector/slash enthusiast who doesn't want to go "stupid" fast. Hell, I parked my 70 Stage1 cause it was getting fast and a roll cage was necessary to be able to play in it. I didn't want to chop it up. I pulled the go fast motor and built an entire new car to put it in that I didn't care about hacking up as needed to go faster and faster.

Just my take on it though.

Ended up going with a junkyard engine and an 80mm since the motor was already together, running and ready to go. Hope to build a better engine for it for 2013.

I'll let you guys know how the junkyard engine works, but we're shooting for high 9s.

What do you mean by junkyard engine? You made no changes to the motor at all, stock pistons, rings, etc?