V8 vs V6

Fryguy

10 Second Club
That was an interesting thread. Really don't understand why it was closed. I think both sides of that argument make sense to some degree.

I would bet with the V6 guys on maximum power with an 88mm or smaller turbo. It's very obvious to me that after playing with these turbos for a while, the smaller (and sometimes less efficient) engines make more power with the same turbo for the most part. The compressor maps give you the answer to that.

However, I think the V6 guys are crazy if they think it's cheaper to go 9s with a v6. And the weakest LS aluminum block is still much stronger than the 109. Hell even a stock crank/block LS can run deep in the 8s. And no need for aftermarket EFI in that range either. And it's easier on transmissions because they move the air to spool up the bigger turbos easier.

....... I think the V6 guys are crazy if they think it's cheaper to go 9s with a v6. And the weakest LS aluminum block is still much stronger than the 109. Hell even a stock crank/block LS can run deep in the 8s. .........

I guess all of us turbo Buick owners are "crazy" if you want to call it that. :eek:

Myself, I get a different feeling than "crazy" when I "kick ass" on a big block V-8 with twice the displacement, and costs more than my V-6 to build! :D

Please tell us where we can find a STOCK LS deep in the 8's, I hear the BS from the local Chevy guys, but they can never back it up? :confused:

x2 v8 ls motor vs 109 v6 take a stock ls1,2,3,7,9 vs stock 109 youre going to get your ass smoked.need more proof talk to Dusty Bradford a man with exp w/both motors.judd massigills n/a lsx 8.30 @161 bobby lashleys n/a lsx 8.29 @162 now lets bolt on a power adder for arguement sake a turbo 88/47 billetwheel oh sh.t you just got youre ass smoked again.dont be stupid use youre head for more than a hat rack!

My friend spent 2 times the money on his 572 BBC as I did on my 109. I have a ton of 9 sec passes. His goal was to run 9s too. He blew his motor up twice tryng to get a 9 and never made it there. 5 years later, he gave up and my engine is still running as strong as ever. Just sayin'

Please tell us where we can find a STOCK LS deep in the 8's, I hear the BS from the local Chevy guys, but they can never back it up? :confused:

Are you trying to misquote me on purpose? :lol:

I said stock crank and block. But really stock crank, block and head castings have been in the 8s on multiple cars around here.

Trust me, I dig both the V6 and the LS. To be honest, my fastest car is a small block ford with a turbo.

But I am putting together a GN right now with a stock LS block, crank, heads, intake. I'm not sure what it will run, it's a budget ride and has a heavy steel cage and stuff. I likely won't be fast at all, but it will be a nice street cruiser. I chose the LS instead of the V6 only because of cost. I already have one race car, this is just a street cruiser.

Well this IS a "TURBO Buick" site.. Why don't the V8 guys just go to the Chevy sites ?? :confused: The "my car is faster than your car " has been goin on for years an will continue to do so. Hell I still have some "blue oval" blood in me :p V6 Buicks are a unique cars.. Hell they got me back into cars in 86. Never looked back to the good old 6 mpg V8s :biggrin: To each thier own :cool:

Well this IS a "TURBO Buick" site.. Why don't the V8 guys just go to the Chevy sites ?? :confused: The "my car is faster than your car " has been goin on for years an will continue to do so. Hell I still have some "blue oval" blood in me :p V6 Buicks are a unique cars.. Hell they got me back into cars in 86. Never looked back to the good old 6 mpg V8s :biggrin: To each thier own :cool:

I graduated in 1987 and I've wanted one of these cars ever since then. They're truly great vehicles and the powertrain was way ahead of its time. I'm glad to finally own one.

I do not know but I know one loser in x275 is going to try a V6

hacking002-1.jpg

Pete From HED just finished Jamie Hacking's syclone and it should be a contender in X275

I do not know but I know one loser in x275 is going to try a V6

Pete From HED just finished Jamie Hacking's syclone and it should be a contender in X275

I think it's a great idea because of the turbo limits in the class.

No, you were the one that said STOCK! :biggrin:

Come on, you had to know you would get beat on with a subject like this, especially in this forum? :rolleyes:

I know it :biggrin:

I actually bought this GN as a roller, and it's already set up for the V6, so I was trying to figure out which direction to go with it. It's a very heavy bitch, so it's going to take some power to make it get down the road.

I think I've decided on the LS just for budget reasons, but that "NO V8s allowed" thread had some interesting arguments in it for both sides.

If you were replacing a 305 in a monte ss that would be really cool. Putting a ls an a turbo buick for a street cruser is just lame!!!!

If you were replacing a 305 in a monte ss that would be really cool. Putting a ls an a turbo buick for a street cruser is just lame!!!!

Lame why? It will cost less money to run the same times. It won't leak. It will be easy to spool. If I want to use pump fuel when cruising on the street, I can turn the boost controller off and still probably make decent power. I can't think of a downside except that I agree that the V6 is cooler.

heres your downside

put a v8 in take half the cars value out .. cause all you have is a hacked up turbo buick with a v8 in it ...

why ?? because you can make more power than you can put to the street with a 109. Unless your meaning of a street cruser has a 1000 hp engine.

put a v8 in take half the cars value out .. cause all you have is a hacked up turbo buick with a v8 in it ...

If I cared about the value, that might be a concern. This car already has a cage in it.

why ?? because you can make more power than you can put to the street with a 109. Unless your meaning of a street cruser has a 1000 hp engine.

It will be cruised on the street and raced at the track when my race car is down. Which is often.