Upgrade system or Fast

needforspeed150

To many cars and motorcycles
I have been upgrading my 30k GN that I found after I had lost my first one in a divorce Grrrrr. Anyway been spending money on exhaust, Air intake, and such to this point. Purchased new injectors most recently. My question is as I add up $ that I will need to update the current electronics, power logger, translater, wideband o2, Etc. I of course will spend quite a bit of money. The question is would I be better purchasing a Fast system or continue to upgrade the original systems. Of course I am also including tuning items such as a logger, wide band, in costs. I thought it was best to make this decision now.
In the plan is heads, turbo upgrade, cooling upgrade. Would like to end up with a mid 10 car.
Suggestions and personal experience is appreciated.
Ben

Last edited:
I went with a FAST XFI several years ago and never regretted it. It gives you almost infinite adjustability and can trigger other options too (like a shift light for example). I had Jack Cotton install it and program it for me. (y)

Claude. ;)

For a performance street car, we have used many "poor mans FAST" as Bob Bailey labels the SD2 chip with a wide band O2 and a Powerlogger.

The SD2 set up is less than 1/3rd the cost of the complete XFI, and will most likely fill all your needs if you are not into serious racing in competition.

There is some tuning needed, but the initial parameters in the chip are a great starting point, and of course you have real-time display plus data recording capability with a laptop like the FAST

The SD2 includes a VE table that gives you instant timing and fuel correction on the fly.

The last I heard from Bob that he is also working on adaptive learning for the SD2 chip like the 2.0 FAST and late model vehicles.

I am amazed that Bob has enabled our 30 year old computers to compete with the current performance vehicles in the 21st century, we are big fans of the economical SD2 with the performance and reliability we are able to obtain in our turbo cars! :)

thought it was best to make this decision now.
make the decision on who will be tuning the car.i have seen so many that are completely lost in a high tech setup like a fast,some sell off there cars.a stock computer and a tt chip is more than plenty to run 10 sec passes and keeps things very simple.

I have been upgrading my 30k GN that I found after I had lost my first one in a divorce Grrrrr. Anyway been spending money on exhaust, Air intake, and such to this point. Purchased new injectors most recently. My question is as I add up $ that I will need to update the current electronics, power logger, translater, wideband o2, Etc. I of course will spend quite a bit of money. The question is would I be better purchasing a Fast system or continue to upgrade the original systems. Of course I am also including tuning items such as a logger, wide band, in costs. I thought it was best to make this decision now.
In the plan is heads, turbo upgrade, cooling upgrade. Would like to end up with a mid 10 car.
Suggestions and personal experience is appreciated.
Ben
If you are planning to upgrade your car to a specific level of performance, and plan a commonly used recepie combonation, and then plan to just leave it alone and be happy............Then keep it simple.

Something tuneable will be needed to get you through the steps as you upgrade. But once your there and the tune is right you may choose to leave it alone. Nick's answer may serve you best. Especially if cost is an issue.

Myself, Claude, and many others are always messing around and changing something. Some of us may have more involved set-ups. We get to reasonably understand our engine management systems. Once we know our FAST, it works best for us, no doubt.

Decided at this point to put a tt Axis interface and chip in. It will give me some tuning availability and I can tune my skills a bit. Might go bigger better later. Thanks for the input guys.
Ben