update

postal

Peoples champ runner up
As some of you guys know my nephew died last year when he crashed a friends t-type that he was taking to do some work on last july. His parents gave me his old GN that I helped him buy a few years ago and I decided to finish what he started. He had purchased a stage 2 block and a stroker crank. He was all excited about the money he was making after finally graduating college and was going to build himself a nasty stage powered car.

Some twist and turns have pushed the project around a little but ALOT of the hardware has been purchased and I'm getting to the point to where I should be able to start assembly of the car fairly soon (at least start on it anyway). Here's a break down of where I'm at on it:

The short block is fully machined and ready for me and Andy's father to get together and assemble it. Its a 153 oncenter with 3.940" bore, 9 to 1 pistons, and a 3.590" crank. That makes 263 cubic inches. Its got 6.5" carrillo rods, a PTE solid roller, Isky sollid roller lifters, gear drive, and a 3 stage dry sump oiling system.

Topping off the motor is a nice set of stage 2 heads, a pair of twin turbo headers, and an edelbrock tunnel ram converted to injection. The part of the motor that I'm most excited about is that I have a pair of ball bearing turbochargers for it and I also have a pair of PTE 1000 hp liquid intercoolers! Each turbo will blow through its own liquid IC. I think this will be really slick looking. The twin headers I picked up where the coated ones that Kendal had for his car and they look really nice. The Turbonetics T-series turbos with thier big polished compressor housings and gold backing plates look really slick also. If I can make some slick piping for each IC and figure out a nice twin throttle body set up to go on top of that tunnel ram....... I think it will score some points in the " yeah thats cool " category.

I also have a built turbo 400 with a brake, an art carr 9" conv, 30x10.5 goodyear slicks and front runners mounted on pro stars. Big stuff 3, 160# inj, and a king sumo fuel pump.

Pretty quick here I'm going to ordering a 4 link back half kit. Which is a pre-welded rear frame kit with the 4 link set up, panhard bar, QA1 coil overs, drag style sway bar, narrowed 9" housing, and 35 spline moser axle assembly. I'm going to be installing this myself and I hope I get it in straight! Once I get the backhalf kit order and in I can then do the cage and start assembling the car.

I wish I could afford some light weight fiberglass components. When you start talking about stage 2 heads, stroker crank, solid roller cam, twin ball bearing turbos, twin liquid intercoolers, dry sump oiling ect... ect.. A good amount of horse power seams to be all but guaranteed. Then start talking about a back half chassis with a nice 4 link / coilover set up. A nice trans and conv, and some nice slicks. It seams that the ability to transfer the power and put it to the ground effectively will be obtainable. It would be nice to lighten it up and cut it lose and the track but all that fancy stuff adds up and sooner or later the coffers empty. So she'll have to hit the track as a Porker and run whats she's going to run.

When I finish this car I will try to get going on my TTA again. Because of that don't be looking for Andy's car to tearing up the track. All you guys who go fast have warned me that it takes alot of money to keep going fast. I plan on taking it nice and easy on Andy's car in hopes to keep the dollars required to maintain it way down. If I get caught up in even a moderate amount of maintenance costs with his car then I'll never be able to finish my own. During this whole time of collecting the stuff for Andy's car I've always felt that giving up on my own wouldn't be right and that it wouldn't be something Andy would have wanted. Lately I have been considering giving up on the TTA and just selling it. If it does come down to that then so be it.

Well thats about all I got to say about that. I hope all the stage guys running this year have good luck with thier cars. Maybe next year I'll be out there with you. Please don't make fun of me when the "on paper" low 8 second car is only running 9.50. Because if you ask me if I'm afraid of breaking it I will look you straight in the eye and say "ABSOLUTELY!!"

Jason

This sounds like it's going to be quite a car! Please don't hesitate to call if you have any questions or anything that I can do to help you with this project.

Thanks Cal! I have had some help from fellow turbo buick guys, and the help I have gotten here and there has added up and made a huge difference. One of the tings I know I'm going to need is a base program for this first gen BS3 with the 160# injectors. The only program I have now is one for a set of 65's. So if anyone knows where I can get a 160# program to use as a starting point that would be very helpful.

Thanks again: Jason

postal said:
Thanks Cal! I have had some help from fellow turbo buick guys, and the help I have gotten here and there has added up and made a huge difference. One of the tings I know I'm going to need is a base program for this first gen BS3 with the 160# injectors. The only program I have now is one for a set of 65's. So if anyone knows where I can get a 160# program to use as a starting point that would be very helpful.

Thanks again: Jason

Jason,
I can probably help you out there. Just got through with a Stage II/StageII with BS3. 800 RWHP. Give me a call at the shop monday. 281-540-FAST

Chris

Jason,

Thanks for the update, it still makes me sick every time I think of your loss.
What is there a reason that you are going to back half the car?
You could save a lot of money and race it in classes where it would have better chances of competingwith a stock style suspension.
In addition make sure you do the cage to at least the 25.5 spec.
This will allow that car to go up to 7.5.
The basic sportsman cage is only good for 8.50.
A big tire car with just a sportsman cage cert will not have the same resale value, in addition you will not be as safe.

Good luck and God bless,

The back half decision was not one that I made lightly. If you asked one of my close friends they will verify that I drove myself nuts for several months over this decision. I know there are people running faster than I plan on going and they are running stock style set ups. I feel that a back half / four link set up has advantages over stock stuff. I'm hoping those advantages will show up within the intended application of the car.

I have no intentions of running in any heads up classes with the car. The only class I have any intentions or even interest in running is the quick 16 at the GS nationals. Other than that it will only be slated for cruise in duties and maybe an occasional blow the cob webbs out run at a local track.

Andy died shortly after his 22nd birthday. He owned his GN for only three years. He drove his car 800 miles round trip two times and raced it at the GS nationals. He missed last years nats d/t his new job would not let him have the time off. He did try to head down on friday evening after work with the intentions of hanging out friday and watching the races on saturday. His truck broke down in northern Kentucky and left him stranded a long way from home. I had to leave the Nats a day early to come help him fix it. I guess there are two morals to that story.

1. Don't put off until next year something you love doing.
2. Don't rely on a Ford to get you to the nats. unless its pulling a Buick

Jason

Could you send me a photo of the Edelbrock Tunnel Ram intake. Does anyone know where one might find such an animal?
Conrad

alphaenvirmgt said:
Does anyone know where one might find such an animal?
Conrad

I've been tring to locat one for 8 months, Let me know if you find two. :)

My tunnel ram came already converted to multiport, but it had an unuseable TB set up. I still got one heck of a deal on it though.

I still remember the first year Andy went to the nats. Kendall brang the tunnel ram he had converted with the dual TB's and all. Andy and I where drooling over that thing. We both thought that it looked just as cool or cooler than some of the high dollar sheet metal setups.

Kendal has some nice shots of his fab work on his site, including pics of his tunnel ram:

http://www.secondhandsix.com/ttype/index.htm

BTW: Tunnel rams are very hard to find for some reason. I kind of keep my eye out for them and I've only ever seen or heard of three for sale over the last 4 yrs: Kendall's and then one other one on ebay that were not converted to efi yet. Then Andy's which was not advertized anywhere and was already set up with the injector bungs and the fuel rails.

They're not impossible to find, but if you do find one you better jump on it.

HTH: Jason