Untuned

pwrsix

I just bought a GN. I have had it for a few weeks and right away the MAF sensor went bad. Actually, on my way home from the guy I bought it from. I replaced it and car is back to normal. Then my inlet pipe hose came off. I put it back on and ordered new hoses. Car runs good but I am not sure if it is running great because it is my first GN. The guy I bought it from said it had only been driven about 100 miles in the past 18 months. So my question is, can a GN become "untuned"? Should I bring this car to someone who know what they are doing and have things adjusted? It has a Scanmaster but I have no idea how to use it. I live in MA and the guy I bought it from said that Russ Merrit did all of the work and tuning of the car. I have never met him but heard he is like God when it comes to these cars. Maybe I should bring it to him and have it freshened up. What do you guys think?

If Russ worked on it and nothing has gone bad other than the MAF
the tune should be ok. Oil should be changed and make sure it has good
gas in the tank. Before you drive it hard stay on this site and read, read,
and read some more to learn how to use the scan tool you have.
You can try Russ but I dont know how much Turbo Buick work
he is doing now, but he is one of the best!!! I also live in MA and will
help if I can, Know enough to get myself in trouble. Good luck.

It has a Scanmaster but I have no idea how to use it.

these scanmaster requests and how to read em should be a sticky.

you can go to fullthrottlespeed.com and get the pdf

when you first turn it on it will show
your 02 sensor counts on left and knock retard degrees on right

your 02 will fluctuate, if TurboTweak chip, it will idle at around 750 to 800
cruising it will jump around, full throttle it should be 750 and over... watch the right side for retard degrees...shows your getting knock...get out of it

second is engine load L8

you then have
INT and BLM INT is short term fuel trim... 128 is center point..if over 128 its adding fuel to correct lean condition...if under 128 its pulling fuel to correct rich.

BLM stores your INT and puts it into shoe boxes for safe storage you have 4 of them:rolleyes:

you'll see CLT...thats coolent temp MPH, and RPM self explanatory

TPS is throttle position sensor .40 to .44 best for initial adjustment..im sure its set

IAC is Idle air control.. diff cars like diff settings 15 to 30 or so at idle
Idle air adjustment screw is at top of throttle body...DONT tinker with it like you can a rochester carb... if you do you have to go back and reset your TPS everytime and since your new...dont mess with it.

CC is cross counts..02 cycles

Nothing else really of big importance...

do some searching on here and read all you can and once you can learn your basic tune then open your wallet for more goodies

good luck

Mike

go to full throttle and download the scanmaster manual which will will put in the loop on tuning and making sure there are no faulty sensor readings etc.
i have yet to even receive my scanmaster and being a first time tb owner i've read up on it already.
i thought it was good info and the scanmaster is the least you should have owning one of these beasts.
good luck.

Just PM Russ. He will get back to you immediately. He is very reliable like that and will definately help answer some of your questions.