underbody paint or undercoat

Jims project

Jims project
just installed new floorpan and in the process of sanding and cleaning the underside of the car.. question is what do you guys suggest for the underside .. a 2-stage paint, if so where to get it? undercoating out of a can? the car isn't on a rotesserie, but it is about 3ft off the ground. thanks

The underside of the car really doesnt get as abused as everyone thinks it does. The areas directly behind the tires gets the worst. I plan on shooting the entire underside flat black and then a satin clear.I will detail the frame separate from the body as it gets major upgrades and bracing welded on. It too will be satin black with all stainless bolts. If your factory paint is still on the bottom of the car, just wire brush it and clean and respray it. The ugliest part on my undercarriage is the rearend housing. The factory paint didnt hold up very well at all. Its the rustiest looking part of the entire underside, and my car only has 25k miles on it. I will remove it and shoot it gloss black to match my trailing arms and HR bar.

Coach

hello; If it was me I'd get some sort of anti rust stuff and do it. Not glossy either. I used por-15 in areas that I brushed on years ago and it did peal. My prep probably was the cause of that. Also there are areas under there that are more pron to rusting as it was pointed out to me. I forget where it was but the car was on the lift when it was pointed out.
have fun and post what's going on.
IBBY

is there anything out there that can be applied with a foam or regular brush, other than por 15? since the car is on jack stands..I think it would take to many spray cans to do the entire car?

is there anything out there that can be applied with a foam or regular brush, other than por 15? since the car is on jack stands..I think it would take to many spray cans to do the entire car?

Check eastwood.com. They have some rust converter that you can brush on. They also have topcoats. I was going to do the Lizard skin because someone on here used it but they say you cant use it on bare metal. Im waiting on my floor from gbody as we speak.good luck

Jim, get some black 2 part epoxy primer , then top coat with some semi or satin what ever you like. you will be fine. I like the PPG stuff.

Pronto, that sounds like what I'm looking for.. without the hardner.. I assume it can be brushed on

Pronto, that sounds like what I'm looking for.. without the hardner.. I assume it can be brushed on
Yes. Get yourself some of the cheap china wood handle natural bristle brushes and nitrile gloves. Foam or nylon will not work good. Scrub off any loose rust or dirt with a small metal brush. Just take your time and lay it on thin so it doesn't run. The stuff is like armor. We do everything around here with it. Frames, plows, trailers, anything exposed to the weather. It can be sprayed but no one hear ever tried that.

I did my underbody with with 2part epoxy primer them top coated it with monstaliner came out very nice and both products can be brushed/rolled on!

Attachments

• HPIM3907.JPG
    HPIM3907.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 695
  • HPIM3904.JPG
    HPIM3904.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,255
  • HPIM3894.JPG
    HPIM3894.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 413
6togo, that really looks good..you had the advantage with a rotisserie..but mines high enough off the ground to where it shouldn"t be a problem.. Where did you get the monstaliner?

Thanks! I did have the roti but the painter ended up getting primer and overspray over the coating probably not a great idea to do it before hand but i was keeping the project moving so once the body came back home i put it on tall jack stands and rolled another coat to clean it up its not to bad of job on your back just a little messy! The first time i sprayed with a undercoating gun but the finish came out very close rolling it the second time!Monstaliner.com or Magnet paints Eric the owner is a great guy and used to be with Por 15 and i think he helped design it if i'm not mistaken he also carries Chassis saver and epoxy primer everything you need to do the job right!