Turnaround time of engine rebuild

fatride

Needing to get my engine looked at and probibly rebuilt. Would like to go to one of our well know engine rebuilders. Anybody have any experience with turnaround times? Thanks

Really depends on which builder (location) and what you will have done to it. I would say around 3-6 weeks (??)

Mine took betwwen 2 and 3 weeks. .030 over rebuild with no bootom end modifications. Probably depends on who does the machining (in house?) and how covered up they are.

John, I was going to do what you said and pull the caps off and try new bearings to see if the oil press. got any better. I figured I would just pull it out and get it all checked out. Hopefully I just needs some bottom end work done. Hopefully the cam and JE slugs are ok. :confused:

Well, you can still take a look before you pull it. Your main bearing are a main factor in oil pressures. If they've been worn into copper by oil starvation, then of course, your oil pressure numbers will suffer greatly. Replacing worm bearings will bring oil pressure back to normal. It's a lot more trouble, time, and expense to pull the motor.

Turn around time????

Good luck thats is all im saying what ever they say triple it and you may get it back

heres some tips ive learned

1. build it yourself if you can
2. have it built locally if possible
3. WHO EVER REBUILDS IT MEET THEM IN PERSON

Dealing with people out of state is problelly the last thing you want to do

Johnny

ask me how i know

John, I just went and started the car for the hell of it. No noises or anything. Oil press. went to 40psi and droped down to around 20psi at idle. Ran it for about 5 min. did not make any noises or anything. I think I might of gotten lucky:)

Originally posted by badboy86gn2
Turn around time????

Good luck thats is all im saying what ever they say triple it and you may get it back

heres some tips ive learned

1. build it yourself if you can
2. have it built locally if possible
3. WHO EVER REBUILDS IT MEET THEM IN PERSON

Dealing with people out of state is problelly the last thing you want to do

Johnny

ask me how i know

Obviously you have been dealing with the wrong people?:rolleyes:

We just did a stock rebuild in one week. We shipped a motor to Canada last month that was custom built with caps within 3 weeks, and have 4 others in process for out of state customers.:)

I see it says you are from the Windy City and thats where I am originally from. I know of a few places that do great turbo buick work around there. First is ANS Performance in Melrose Park, second is Livingston automotive in Schaumburg (where I'm from) and third is Speed Inc. also in Schaumburg but they might not do them any more since they don't have parts for sale on their website. I'm sorry I don't have the numbers for these places since I am in Florida. I would first give ANS a call and ask for Pete Barton (the owner) he helped me with a lot of parts and setup info for my GN. Hope it all goes well.

Originally posted by fatride
John, I just went and started the car for the hell of it. No noises or anything. Oil press. went to 40psi and droped down to around 20psi at idle. Ran it for about 5 min. did not make any noises or anything. I think I might of gotten lucky:)

5 or 10 minutes running time does not tell the tale. You said your pressure was much lower when the initial problem happened. That's good you have no noise. If you drive it, don't go far, and if the pressure goes away, just check it out like I told you. Main bearings only cost a bout $35 for Clevite 77. Only takes a few hours to do the job. That's infinitely less painful than pulling the motor and dealing with a machine shop.

Nick ill have to keep you in mind for the next time if there is one

Johnny

I shouldve went with you to begin with