Turbocharging a V8...

Vendor Defendor

Out the window
thinking of eventually building a turbo 350... and i was thinking that at that time, i will have a PTE-44 on my car and figure that i could just throw my stock turbo on this 350.

the only thing that i am not to sure about is how will i get the wastegate to work?

thanks for any clues..

-Neil

A turbo that is a basic upgrade on a 231ci V6 (the TE44) is going to be a bit on the small size on a 350ci V8. Even Mustang guys running 302ci V8s opt for the next size up turbo when ordering a turbo kit (for example, the TE44 is the standard turbo with CarTech's Mustang Street Sleeper turbo kit). I would suggest something bigger. Sure, the TE44 on the 350 will get it turbocharged, but it will be over worked on an engine that is not only 130ci larger but also is higher revving than out 231ci V6.

As to the wastegate question, it will work in the same manner as it does on turbo Regals. You will have to fab up your turbo headers, crossover and downpipe to make it all work together. That being the case, though, it is easier going with an external gate and mounting it on the crossover pipe.

*EDIT* Just re-read your post. You want to put the stock GN turbo on the V8? Definately way too small. Two stock turbos would work much better.