Turbo working or not?

HvyMtlV6

Hello,

Can anyone give me any ideas, i'm not sure what to do at this moment? I have a '84 Grand National, that i just bought a couple of months ago, everything is stock on the car, it seems to have power, but i wouldn't know whats the difference with the turbo working or not? When i bought the car, the guy i bought it from told me that the turbo wasn't working, so i said ok, well i guess i can try to fix it or replace it, but when i drive the car, it seems to have power when i start to excellerate, i mean it has good throttle response, but on my gauge it doesn't show any boost, I opened it up on the freeway, went up as far as 70-75mph, but still no boost? the light indicator is on, but it doesn't move. Does this mean the gauge is not working properly or that the turbo unit needs to be fixed or replace, i would like to salvage the original one if not, i guess i have to buy one, Thanks to anyone who can answer or help me on this matter.

Mahalo,
Joseph C.

the ideal thing would beto get a boost gauge. They are not that expensive and good to have anyway. Hook it up and see if you have any boost then go from there. Also remove the intake hose and see if the turbo spins with your fingers. Hope this helps

Joe -Gimme a call.

I have an old AutoMeter 2-5/8 Sport Comp Boost Gauge that you can have. Not pretty but you can't go wrong with the price. :D Remind me, and I'll bring it to the track on Saturday.

Of course, I'll have to find it first.....;) :D