Turbo: the bigger the better?

smoove mood

Oh Baby I Like It Raw
I have a stock GN with 150's miles an a scanmaster. i was ready to make the ALKY my next move but decided to go to G-Body parts just to wonder around. they have a sale just for feburary on turbos and if you havent seen it here are the options.

3231= recommended converter 2,400 stall HP rating is at 490 to the flywheel
3431=TE34 reccomended converter 2,600 stall Hp rating 545 to the flywheel
4431=TE44 recommended converter 2,700 stall HP rating is 580 to the flywheel
6031=TE60 recommended converter 2,800 stall HP rating is 600 to the flywheel
6076= recommended converter is a 3,200 stall Horsepower rating is 610 to the flywheel

All of the entry level turbochargers come with an E-cover and a cast back plate but include a 360 thrust bearing. These turbos usually come with the 270 thrust but are upgraded to the 360.

Normal retail is $921.99
NOW on sale for a limited time for $595.00
Add Heavy Duty actuators for $89.95
Oil Feed Line for $29.95

These will be available with either a T3 4 bolt, T3 5 bolt, or Buick 3 bolt turbine housing. Mitsubishi housings are NOT included in this offer. All units will feature a 360* Race Bearing setup.

I would like to add I'm a daily driver and i'm willing to sacrifice a LIL bit of mpg if need be to get the performance. so wich one should i go with and what else would i need to complete the set up?

If you dont run higher boost, a larger turbo will slow you down. Also need a looser converter with pretty much any turbocharger change. As its part of the combination.

So a car with a stock turbo at 16 PSI and a car with a 61 turbo at 16 PSI. The car with the stock turbo will spank the 61 turbo car. Now you get the matching converter for the 61, crank the boost up to 23-25 PSI.. the 61 will spank the stock turbo car.

An alky kit will allow you to run higher boost levels, as would race gas. These are the keys to making power. As boost=HP Stock turbo runs out of steam on a stock motor at 22-23 PSI.

Buicks are sensitive to combination. One item can make or break the performance.

HTH

Thanks for the Good info, i will be purchasing the Alky soon but this deal seems to good to pass up plus i will be buying another turbo eventually. i would like to know which one is best for street and doesn't require that many changes (becuase that requires more money).

Get a converter from pats Say a 10" LU with about a 3000 stall & buy the matching turbo for it. I ran a TA-49 with a 10" 3000 (overkill I know) but it would FRY the Drag Radials instantly!! Now I run a 3700 10" from Pats with Big 4" in & 3" out 6776 & it does the same thing! I have a 3400 thats realisticly better for racing & top end MPH but the 3700 is way more fun!

PS: You MUST have Alchy or Race gas to do any of these mods & take advantage of the power. Alchy is cheap & easy to get. Much better for the street.

I'd suggest for you to keep the stock turbo and get alky with a matching TurboTweak chip. Push your stock turbo to 23 or so lbs and it might surprise you. Make sure you've got the supporting fuel system though. That does sound like a good deal but it's not the first time I've seen it. We've got some of the best vendors here and deals like this happen more than you think.

Its just not the turbo but the torque converter as well..

So what size turbo and you leave the stock torque converter.... winner is the stock turbo. Unless you do the 3231.. but for that i'd leave the stock turbo there.. unless your stock turbo is trashed

I have a stock GN with 150's miles an a scanmaster. i was ready to make the ALKY my next move but decided to go to G-Body parts just to wonder around. they have a sale just for feburary on turbos and if you havent seen it here are the options.

3231= recommended converter 2,400 stall HP rating is at 490 to the flywheel
3431=TE34 reccomended converter 2,600 stall Hp rating 545 to the flywheel
4431=TE44 recommended converter 2,700 stall HP rating is 580 to the flywheel
6031=TE60 recommended converter 2,800 stall HP rating is 600 to the flywheel
6076= recommended converter is a 3,200 stall Horsepower rating is 610 to the flywheel

All of the entry level turbochargers come with an E-cover and a cast back plate but include a 360 thrust bearing. These turbos usually come with the 270 thrust but are upgraded to the 360.

Normal retail is $921.99
NOW on sale for a limited time for $595.00
Add Heavy Duty actuators for $89.95
Oil Feed Line for $29.95

These will be available with either a T3 4 bolt, T3 5 bolt, or Buick 3 bolt turbine housing. Mitsubishi housings are NOT included in this offer. All units will feature a 360* Race Bearing setup.

I would like to add I'm a daily driver and i'm willing to sacrifice a LIL bit of mpg if need be to get the performance. so wich one should i go with and what else would i need to complete the set up?

Need to know what your goals are here?

I don't really have one. i guess it would be high 11's. i just want a really bad Mo. Fo.

If you dont run higher boost, a larger turbo will slow you down. Also need a looser converter with pretty much any turbocharger change. As its part of the combination.

So a car with a stock turbo at 16 PSI and a car with a 61 turbo at 16 PSI. The car with the stock turbo will spank the 61 turbo car. Now you get the matching converter for the 61, crank the boost up to 23-25 PSI.. the 61 will spank the stock turbo car.

An alky kit will allow you to run higher boost levels, as would race gas. These are the keys to making power. As boost=HP Stock turbo runs out of steam on a stock motor at 22-23 PSI.

Buicks are sensitive to combination. One item can make or break the performance.

HTH

Well said.

I will say that I run a good-sized turbo and have been at 25 or 26 lbs. with not even a decimal of knock, thanks to the ALKYCONTROL kit.