Turbo & Ignition Experts, Come on In, Help a Buddy of Mine Out...

Street Lethal

Tech Anarchist
My buddy Steve over on ThirdGen.org has been having a hard time diagnosing a problem(s) with his turbo IROC-Z, and was hoping some of you guys had similar issues with your build and could maybe shed some light for him because he is ready to throw in the towel. Started with a fuel pressure issue that eventually got sorted out, then morphed into a turbo back pressure issue, with it now being a very bad ignition break up at 15+ pounds of boost. Any feedback as well as any ideas as to what may be the culprit here would be very appreciated. Here are some of the most recent vids as to where everything stands, gonna start off with the Precision turbo install first...;

Need more info......what ignition, wires, plug gap, etc, etc.

Did he post his issue on another board? If so, link.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

While I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, it would seem to be a weak ignition system. As boost rises, strong spark is needed to jump the plug gap. Might be some bad or worn pieces in the system.

I would tell him to look into the ignition system. Check the rotor for burn spots. Once boost gets up, the cylinder pressure increases. Tell him to pull the rotor and see if the spark grounds outs through the distributor shaft.

Also, the spark could be scattering inside the cap.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

After the visual the first thing I'd do is close the gap down .010-.015 and see if the problem goes away and report back.

Okay guys, he pulled the dizzy and replaced it with a remanufactured distributor w/new module and pickup coil. He apparently shot a new video of the results last night, just waiting for the results/upload onto youtube. I have no idea if he gapped the plugs tighter though yet...

Okay guys, he pulled the dizzy and replaced it with a remanufactured distributor w/new module and pickup coil. He apparently shot a new video of the results last night, just waiting for the results/upload onto youtube. I have no idea if he gapped the plugs tighter though yet...

Forget about the video, did the new dist/ign parts work?

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

gnxtc2 said:
Forget about the video, did the new dist/ign parts work?

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Billy, he didn't say if it was fixed as of yet, but I just seen now that he put up another video... and I am watching it for the first time as I write this;

Hi Everyone, I appreciate the effort everyone is making to help. I'm going to say up front that I'm at the end of my rope with this project and about to give up. So with that in mind, please forgive me in advance if I seem snippy in any way. I'm really just worn out with the whole situation and very close to just parting the whole thing out... and that's saying a lot because I've really put a lot of time and energy into the car.

Today I worked on verifying that the camshaft specs match what's on the card. In my continuing string of bad luck, the dial indicator magnetic base I bought from sears this morning was bad. The magnet was nearly dead. When I returned it, there was one more on the shelf... same thing! So I had to rig up my own base using a piece of wood, some vice grips, two towels and the main shaft from an RC helicopter. As such, I was only able to position it over the exhaust valve so I haven't confirmed the intake side of things yet. Still, pretty much everything I've checked or replaced on this build so far has turned out to be fine, so I'd be willing to be the cam is fine.

I was able to verify the lobe lift and the exhaust valve closing (@ .050") relative to TDC matched the cam card. That tells me I've got the cam I ordered.

Basic specs on the car: 350 cu in, 4.000" SRP pistons 24cc dish, Total Seal rings, Cometic 4.030 head gasekets .040" thick, stock deck height, est 8.6:1 compression. Cam is Comp Cams Hyd Roller 224/224 @ .050, 114 sep, .539"/531" in/ex. Stock everything TPI intake except polished and 65 lb/hr Precision Turbo injectors. Fuel is single Aeromotive Stealth 340 in-tank. Megasquirt ECM with PLX WB O2. I keep the AFR between 10.9 and 11.2 in boost. I can't remember my current total timing since I've been moving the boost around trying to troubleshoot things, but it's high 20's in the 15-18 psi range and I didn't feel safe going higher. Haven't ever heard detonation in this new engine but did run into it a few times with the original iron head engine. Transmission is a 700r4 with a 9 bolt 3.27 rear. Ignition is stock small top HEI, MSD 6AL, MSD 8mm wires, AC delco plugs 2 heat ranges cooler than stock 91 Corvette uses, gapped to .025", at the moment a Blaster 3 coil but normally MSD Street Fire external HEI. Turbo is a Precision PT6766 billet.

I'll work on getting pics of the distributor cap and rotor.

Obviously there are hundreds more details but hopefully that narrows it down a bunch. Here is the engine (with the old ebay turbo on it):

303258_255391071164847_100000818685598_682087_779472209_n.jpg

There are some guru's here that will give you some great idea's where to look. Where are you located?...there may be one near you. Don't quit now that you are 9/10'ths of the way done.

This may sound silly, but with me I have to make sure I use dielectric grease in the boots, on both ends of all the plug wires. Without it, I get ignition breakup when in boost. If I go a long time on the same set of plugs and the grease happens to dry out, I'll start getting ign breakup. I simply recoat all the boots and back to normal. Just throwing it out there. Wouldn't hurt to try.

I'm down in Panama City FL..

DonWG I will confess to not having ever used that. Pretty easy to get to everything except the two under the turbo. What kind of wire diameter are you guys running? I should be able to reach my 500 rwhp goal at 16-18 psi, which is why I didn't go too crazy on the wires or coil.

I'm only producing 346 rwhp at 15-16 psi and turning it up to 20-21 makes no real difference.. feels like maybe 20-30 hp more.

Didn't see a reference to fuel psi....Is the regulator boost referenced?
Does the fp rise w/ boost?
Valve springs?
Does the M/S control the spark?
Does it have data logging capability?

Regulator is boost referenced stock TPI fuel rail style. Rises 1:1 with boost. I originally thought I was having a low fuel pressure problem but narrowed it down to a sensor on my digital gauge. No signs of fuel pressure loss in boost since going to the 340 pump.

Timing is controlled by the MS yep and fully loggable.

Springs are beehive Comp Cams 26918-16 with the following specs:

OD: Top 1.075" Bottom 1.310"
ID: Top .650" Bottom .885"
Seat Pressure: 125 lbs @ 1.800''
Open Pressure: 367 lbs @ 1.150''
Coil Bind: 1.100"
Spring Rate: 372 lbs/in
Supposed to get it on my friend's dyno tomorrow evening, but now the weather looks really crappy. If it's storming we'll have to do it another day. Hoping that we can better diagnose the situation with the car stationary.