Turbo for a Series II motor??

boy, i've learned a lot in 3 months.

i just bought hptuners this week. i hope to get it on my laptop and testing this weekend.

it turns out i designed a custom aluminum intake for clubgp guys.

i'm working with a top engine builder to develop cnc ported 3800 heads. i/e cfm at 28" water on a superflo 600.

.100 80/54
.200 133/109
.300 184/141
.400 215/169
.500 223/177
.550 232/178

this is with 1.84"/1.52" valves. he still has some chamber work to do - we'll see if we can get it above 240 cfm. i like an exhaust/intake ratio around 75%. small exhaust ports help spool turbos, and let the engine accelerate faster.

as far as turbos: the 35r wheel is up to 80% efficient, and up to 65 lb/min. the p trim t04 wheel isn't a good match down low. turbonetic's f1 wheel is better. they have an f1-35r with dual scroll housing, and dual ball bearings. it should have near instant spool with stock tc, and 700 hp potential.
Full-Race Motorsports LLC Call us toll free at (866) FULL-RACE

the cam will be custom designed. however, it will have ~206° duration, and at least -18° overlap for stock idle.

my goal is 500+ whp on pump gas, no lag, and flat power curve. the porsche gt2 makes 530 hp @ 6500, and 505 lb-ft from 2200-4400.

Attachments

• intake turbo r2.JPG
    intake turbo r2.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 193
boy, i've learned a lot in 3 months.

i just bought hptuners this week. i hope to get it on my laptop and testing this weekend.

it turns out i designed a custom aluminum intake for clubgp guys.

i'm working with a top engine builder to develop cnc ported 3800 heads. i/e cfm at 28" water on a superflo 600.

.100 80/54
.200 133/109
.300 184/141
.400 215/169
.500 223/177
.550 232/178

this is with 1.84"/1.52" valves. he still has some chamber work to do - we'll see if we can get it above 240 cfm. i like an exhaust/intake ratio around 75%. small exhaust ports help spool turbos, and let the engine accelerate faster.

as far as turbos: the 35r wheel is up to 80% efficient, and up to 65 lb/min. the p trim t04 wheel isn't a good match down low. turbonetic's f1 wheel is better. they have an f1-35r with dual scroll housing, and dual ball bearings. it should have near instant spool with stock tc, and 700 hp potential.
Full-Race Motorsports LLC Call us toll free at (866) FULL-RACE

the cam will be custom designed. however, it will have ~206° duration, and at least -18° overlap for stock idle.

my goal is 500+ whp on pump gas, no lag, and flat power curve. the porsche gt2 makes 530 hp @ 6500, and 505 lb-ft from 2200-4400.

Nice to see you still hanging in there...wow a lot has been done in these few months for sure...are you planning on doing a pulse turbocharged system also?
Like the intake, looks better than what the vendors are selling currently...
Remember the porshe have a better BSFC than these engines...plus I believe well invested in the variable Nozzle tech, so becareful when comparing...understandably it may have just been a blanket statement, nevertheless different AMINAL...:D

cstavro,contact eric shertz at dynoteck performance.he has a 2001 with a pt61,protorque converter,and other mods and that car has been in the high 10's at almost 130mph.i have driven the car and the pt61 pulls so hard in third, it was interesting trying to keep the car going straight as it was spinning,and spoolup was quick.

good to see you nocutt. thanks for the compliment on the intake. it's not formula 1 tech, but it's better than many 'race' intakes i've seen. i haven't flowed a stock intake for comparison, but my runners don't restrict ported heads at all!

i'm still going with pulse turbocharging. you influenced that decision early in the process. 3500 rpm spool is fine for drag racing, but i also want excellent transient and low rpm response. it'd be fun to autox or take it to a track day:)

i wanted to highlight the low, wide powerband of modern turbo cars. of course the porsche has many advantages over the buick. a cam and ported heads really close up the gap in n/a ve. the turbo will be doing most of the work anyway.

i will be sure to contact eric, mr spool. i'm sure any gt6776 turbo regals will be jealous of a fwd car that goes 130 mph with a gt6176 - or scared!

nocutt, do you have a t4 p trim turbine in a t3 divided housing?? the borg warner s200 does that.

i've been planning to run a divided t4 housing. that would change quite a bit.

nocutt, do you have a t4 p trim turbine in a t3 divided housing?? the borg warner s200 does that.

i've been planning to run a divided t4 housing. that would change quite a bit.

Yes I am...the housing is a t3 footprint .70 A/R divided; 3" V-band...don't think this can be found in the US...not easy except you start rummaging thru diesels shops :biggrin: I believe ATP sells a .78 twin inlet however it is for a far smaller wheel. The t4 is not bad to start with, remember this is why you design the housing to come of with ease...
Have you decided CONCRETELY what compressor and respective hot housing you will like to run?

Have you decided CONCRETELY what compressor and respective hot housing you will like to run?

i assumed you had a divided t4 housing...so i was close to buying an F1-35 with .70 a/r divided t4 housing from full-race dot com. i probably would have be fine with that.

knowing that you use a divided t3 housing, i'm considering the borg warners again. specifically the S258, a 58 mm compressor (80.4mm exducer), divided t3 .83 a/r, p trim t04 wheel from bullseye racing dot com. i expect spool with to start <2500 rpm (NO ONE can give me an approximate number) which is perfect for my stock torque converter.

on a late model supra, and .76 a/r non-divided housing, the S258 made 588 whp, with 'good' spool (he used it to autocross). my ported heads will flow within 15% of stock 2jz heads for similar hp, and my exhaust valve is much smaller for even better spool.

i assumed you had a divided t4 housing...so i was close to buying an F1-35 with .70 a/r divided t4 housing from full-race dot com. i probably would have be fine with that.

knowing that you use a divided t3 housing, i'm considering the borg warners again. specifically the S258, a 58 mm compressor (80.4mm exducer), divided t3 .83 a/r, p trim t04 wheel from bullseye racing dot com. i expect spool with to start <2500 rpm (NO ONE can give me an approximate number) which is perfect for my stock torque converter.

on a late model supra, and .76 a/r non-divided housing, the S258 made 588 whp, with 'good' spool (he used it to autocross). my ported heads will flow within 15% of stock 2jz heads for similar hp, and my exhaust valve is much smaller for even better spool.

Weird I thought I was subscribed to this thread :frown:

For the kind of power you want to make and the way you want to make it; I will consider a better turbine wheel. I am only using the p-trim because I was able to get it cheap and for the power I was looking to make it was just a better choice. Also the ratio of the overall wheel are very close...~69mm to ~74mm (cold to hot; their relative tip speed will be very close) )...the comp. wheel I chose is also a 58mm, but does not have a large exducer because my pressure ratio will not exceed 2bars. In any event, my opinion is the P-trim is just "old" by design, it is heavy and bulky; although I favor the blade sweep and b-width is comparison to the turbonetics stg wheels (which was one of my other options) again this works well as a unit and combo due to where I need to be. I will start with a relatively bigger turbine wheel or a wheel with less blades (even better) viz; ten blades...
The turbine and its respective housing is were plenty of tq can be extracted especially with this pulse system.
Since you are increasing the VE of the engine, if you are going with a BW/S, I will opt for a S3 series...a 6Xmm turbo should get you there with less pressure (assuming you want flow with less brute).
Unfortunately there was no blue-print and so I elected to put my piece together with what I wanted...
hths :biggrin:
*Remember also I am more than willing to bet you may have to increase the stall of the converter

i've vacillated between turbos as i learn more about them. the p trim t04 isn't a good match for the gt35r wheel. so turbonetics matched it with their f1 turbine...it's only available in a divided t4 housing. the borg warners don't use the p trim as i once thought. they use proprietary wheels that compliment their compressor wheels. i want instant throttle response (or reasonably close). i want lots of pressure. so my preference is the bw, then turbonetics f1-35r.

and all my turbo dreams went up in smoke last friday. i work freelance, and the company i worked for no longer required my services:( i've had calls from head hunters, and received offers..so it won't be long before i'm working towards a turbo again. i'm also dropping lots of money developing a cnc program for the series 2 head. priorities.

hey! i'm back. after my 99 regal burned down (damn rocker cover gasket) i lost any reason to pursue a turbo...or even follow buick threads. i'm looking at a 2000 regal ls, and a low pressure turbo. gas jumped 50% since my last post :O and anything to keep, or improve economy is on the agenda. it took way too long to find a job, and now the commute is 58 km each way.

i had bought a fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump for my old regal, and planned to start with 72 psig fuel pressure to improve atomization. i'll be studying lean burn processes. bsfc is max at 1.1x stoich, or about 16.1:1. lambda 1.1 is an instant 10% savings. my 2003 sentra se-r spec v went as higher than 18:1 in low rpm/load.

i got the cad data for the cylinder head ports. i should have a cnc program within a month, and hopefully on my car this fall.