Turbo Eclipse stung by a 02 Century!

jurassic five 7

shoot....i got a little story here that me and my friend raced a turbo eclipse..NOT AWD...anyways..

This is my friend driving a 2001 Buick Century 3.1 V6 and me the passenger,

The bait, college boy with a friend in a newer style Eclipse turbo 4cyl automatic. (this is what the guy told us...it might have not been turbo, but sounded)

Me and my friend were in his 2001 Buick century, we see a eclipse, didnt know if it was turbo, but we asked to run em, and he said 'ok' we wanted to have some fun,

We're at the a stop light. and we hear him spoolin up a little, so my friend holds the brake and hits the gas a little to get the rpms up. The light turns green and we both get tire spin, he got a 1/2 car length on us, but after we're getting to 25, we're gaining on him, and we hit 35-40 we pass him, and by the time on 2nd rolls in at 45, we're about 1 car length in front of him....

We turn and get on a striaght road im yellin 'were you flooring it?!?' and he hesitates and shakes his head yes. and im laughing....come on really....you were?! and he then shakes no, my friend and I are both laughing hard and i said 'ok...ok...really...lets race for real...we want a REAL race...we're serious!!' and he says 'okay...' so we're goin down the street....we're crusing at 30....he hits it, then we do, and we put a car length on him, we shift into 2nd and we're 1 and 1/2 car on him, we're around 60 now the Buicks losing speed... and he's creeping up pretty fast, we're hitting about 70 now and we're even, we both shut it down then

We get another stop light and it happens all again like the first time, he gets a small jump, but we pass his little fart can with a big grandma car and we're hittin a red light so we slow down, and we get to the stop light and he says 'is that a stock Century?!' and we yell back 'ya!' and he says 'damn...pretty nice!'

Damn was that nice, I'll post the race with the Celica GT vs the Buick and i hade a race with it too, vs my 1989 Oldsmobile Sierra S 4cyl 2.2 DOHC.

More will come later,

Adam

trust me.. That was not a turbo or a motor with 200k miles and was worn out.

hopefully ill see the car again cause i know when an Eclipse has the big wing on back its turbo GS-T. I will go find the car again and observe it more.

I know on the shifts though i could hear some air getting exscaped and when he'd pass us, i could hear a slight whistle...

I know the turbo eclipse's when they're automatic are slow, so i dont know...

-Adam

I don't doubt it. I have a 95 turbo talon and its a freaking pig. Up to about 40 it pulls good, then its pretty much done. I took it to the track once or twice. Best I could get was a 15.3 at 90 something mph. Mine only has 60k miles on it, and probably only had 40 at the time. GM v6 motors do pretty good for what they are.

I love the 3.8 in my 1996 OLDS 88. I have whipped ricer after ricer.
a few gave me the thumbs up after I beat them.
others shout foul say i have a supercharger to which I don't.

Turbo eclipse automatics run high 15s. There is a myth out there that they are fast. Good story.

caindo said:
trust me when i say that that 3100 is a dog...

It is a pig, but so is most rice out there. I beat up on plenty of fart-canned, winged things in my '99 Century. With a 9-second 0-60 and an 18-second 1/4-mile time the Century shouldn't be capable of beating any decent running stock turbo Eclipse, though.

Jim

and do you THINK that a 3.1 century runs faster then hi 15'??

hardly

MistaScott said:
Turbo eclipse automatics run high 15s. There is a myth out there that they are fast. Good story.

No, but some people can't drive. He was probably manually shifting the automatic which is good for -1.0 seconds or so. :D