TTA Turbo Identification

Turbo-J

Gold "Member" Ya Baby!!!
I took my turbo shield off to clean & was curious if this was a stock turbo or not. The compressor side it has "Garrett" (up side down on the top) & on the bottom it looks like A/R 60 H24 (or N24-hard to see) then R
On the Turbine/exhaust side it has "Precision" on top, then on the side it has
M3 A G2, then an engraved# below that looks like N168-87 (the last number could be a 3 or 8 also) very faint. I went to the Precision & Garrett web sites & couldn't find any info, Thanks for any ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,120
Do you know what it is then? Do you have a picture of a stock TTA turbo?

Should be a plate or tag on the compressor side with some more info on it. The one on my GN when I got it said it was a GM reman. I don't think I ever had the shield off my TTA to look at the turbo. If I get some time this week I'll snap a few pics if no one else has them and puts them up in the mean time. :cool:

That isn't a stock turbo but it does look to be a original type TTA compressor housing. If you took off the exhaust elbo the turbine wheel size should be stamped into the machined surface. It may have the Compressor wheel size stamped on the bottom of the outlet neck. Or on the side under one of the brackets. Precision Turbo & Engine stamps the wheel sizes into the housings. They are the TA series. They go from a TA49 up to TA61. They are for the guy who wants to keep the stock look. Or, My TTA runs 11.00 and its stock! It must be a factory freak! Looking at the inlet bell I would say it is at least a TA49.

Steve K.

On the exhaust side, I found A/R 63 & on the top next to the oil feed pipe, it has a Y4. I would like to what this turbo is, or if theirs a picture of a stock TTA turbo for comparison. Heres a picture of the compressor side, Thanks for any ideas!

Attachments

• IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 986
From what I've been reading & some info/pictures off of gnttype.org, I'm thinking this might be a (TA-49 with a Precision A/R 63 exhaust housing). If its not stock, would this be a better bet to what it is?

That turbo will flow more air than the stock TTA turbo. If you really need to know what it is take it off and look for the stampings or measure the wheels. Does the car have a stock torque converter? A TA49 would still spool nice with the stock converter but the larger wheels would spool slower. Precision makes anything from the TA49 to TA64 they all look like a stock turbo.

Steve K.

Stock TTA turbo with upgraded inlet bell and new Precision GT6776e...

Attachments

• DSC03765.JPG
    DSC03765.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 979
  • DSC03766.JPG
    DSC03766.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 992
  • DSC03768.JPG
    DSC03768.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,000
  • DSC03769.JPG
    DSC03769.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 992
That turbo will flow more air than the stock TTA turbo. If you really need to know what it is take it off and look for the stampings or measure the wheels. Does the car have a stock torque converter? A TA49 would still spool nice with the stock converter but the larger wheels would spool slower. Precision makes anything from the TA49 to TA64 they all look like a stock turbo.

Steve K.

I'm assuming for now that the torque converter is stock. I was planing on a TT chip w/matching 42lb injectors. I just wanted to know what turbo it is, so I can plan accordingly.

Stock TTA turbo with upgraded inlet bell and new Precision GT6776e...

Thanks for the pictures Scott, my compressor side looks like your stock, but the exhaust side is different. Would you say its a TA-49 w/a Precision A/R 63 housing? Thats what I'm thinking, just not 100% sure.

Its a TA series turbo. Thats for sure. Guess would be TA 49 as well

If Precision built it, they typically engrave the turbo on its outlet neck where the silicone hose slips over.

HTH

Thanks for the info & pictures. Can the TA-49 come with a Precision a/r .63 housing? I'm thinking, this is what it is.

Thanks for the info & pictures. Can the TA-49 come with a Precision a/r .63 housing? I'm thinking, this is what it is.

Contact Patrick "RUQWKNF" he should be able to answer all your questions...used to be a PTE sales rep. Posts mostly in the Turbo section ;)

More pictures, should there be an adjustable waste gate on this turbo? Or is the non-adjustable one on there fine? I did install, the .40" orifice, from Johns Performance, into the gray "Y" vac/boost hose, is that ok on this turbo?

Attachments

• IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 879
  • IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 911
  • IMG_0190.jpg
    IMG_0190.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 916
For the record, all new build TA-49 turbos that come from PTE today have the .63 A/R Precision turbine housing installed. From the looks of it, that looks like a TA-49 turbo. The only two ways to know for sure would be to:

1. Unbolt the downpipe elbow from the side of the turbine housing, via 4 bolts, and look for the turbine housing part number. If you see a THB3-31, that means it has a T31 turbine wheel, which was/is standard for the TA-49 turbo.

2. I know this next step might be very hard to do, but it's the only real way to ID the turbo. Loosen your hose clamps on the compressor cover discharge of the turbo. Now you will have to slide the intercooler hose back onto the intercooler, enough that you can see/read the engravers makings on the compressor cover discharge. With a stock intercooler in place, it may be necessary to loosen/remove the intercooler bracket bolts in order to rotate the intercooler away from the turbo. You might also have to loosen the clamp on the t-body hose and either pull the inlet pipe hose off or remove it completely. This is only if you are going to rotate the intercooler away from the turbo. Very tough job with a stock intercooler that has the shroud installed. Hopefully you will be able to slide the intercooler hose onto the intercooler and read the engravers marks.
Get those markings numbers and let us know what you find.

My best guess is, that is you have a stock torque converter in the car and it has just a little bit of lag from a punch, it's probably a TA-49. As anything larger than this would have significant turbo lag from a punch with a stock converter.

HTH

Patrick

Thanks for the info, that really helps alot & I'll do just that. Do I need a new gasket for the downpipe elbow before I take it apart? I'm not sure if theirs a gasket or not. I did notice some lag also, from a stop, getting on the freeway on ramp it started to pull pretty good about half way up the ramp. Thanks again.
-Jason