Truck Advice

I pull an enclosed 24' trailer with my '03 GMC Sierra 1500 2WD. It has the towing package and 3.73 gears. Runs great but leave yourself some extra braking distance. I can't justify a diesel or that HD of a truck. It's my second GM new style truck both with the 5.3, it's a great motor.

Have to agree with the Silverado 5.3L... I bought a 2005 with tow package...recently towed my "T" on a Uhaul car hauler to the track...50 miles one way...the truck towed it easily...got about 13-14 MPG...but I didn't have to navigate any major hills...I'll see how it does when I tow the car to Vegas for the Natl's in Oct...I did add some air bags(springs) in the rear to level it out a little more...

try towing with a duramax. dodge got nothin on us! and there transmission sucks

That's pretty funny to me. Tell you what, put a Duramax and a Cummins with 8-10k behind them side by side. Take them both up a steep grade of mountains, you will see who lags so pitifully behind. On the transmission, HA, you can't even get a Duramax unless its an automatic. The NV5600 6 spd behind the Cummins is THE best tranny you can get in a light pickup truck. Do some research, you will find which combo is superior.

Originally posted by darb
That's pretty funny to me. Tell you what, put a Duramax and a Cummins with 8-10k behind them side by side. Take them both up a steep grade of mountains, you will see who lags so pitifully behind. On the transmission, HA, you can't even get a Duramax unless its an automatic. The NV5600 6 spd behind the Cummins is THE best tranny you can get in a light pickup truck. Do some research, you will find which combo is superior.
HELLO! duramax came with a 6 spd in 2001 till now. i work on and tow with both types. so your very wrong there. with both motors being stock. the duramax out pulls the cummins. been there done that. and besides i was talking about the auto trans in the dodge is a pos. now dont get all bent out of shape. both motors are great. the power we have to tow with now a days was only a dream 10 yrs. ago. i wouldnt even think of towing to bg every year with anything less than one of these motors. sorry if i offended you.

Originally posted by J T
What is a good truck that has power and is good on gas for
pulling a car dolly and general use?Any input is helpful.
Thanks...

My 03 Hemi does a great job pulling my car and trailer. I could lie about the MPG but I won't, the mileage is not great.

HELLO! duramax came with a 6 spd in 2001 till now. i work on and tow with both types. so your very wrong there. with both motors being stock. the duramax out pulls the cummins. been there done that. and besides i was talking about the auto trans in the dodge is a pos. now dont get all bent out of shape. both motors are great. the power we have to tow with now a days was only a dream 10 yrs. ago. i wouldnt even think of towing to bg every year with anything less than one of these motors. sorry if i offended you.

No offense taken. Just relaying my experiences with both trucks. Maybe I drove a Duramax that was a lemon, but the one I drove felt very sluggish compared to the Cummins. From research I have done, seems that most agree the Cummins somewhat better than the Duramax when it comes to towing. I agree that the Dodge auto tranny is weak, I'd never buy one with the auto. As far as the Duramax outpulling the Cummins, sorry, don't see it happening. To each his own. I'll take the Cummins anyday over the Duramax. Just my preference. :D