Transmission rebuild

supadave

Does anyone know a good place on the island to rebuild transmissions. If so how much moola? Also are Grand Nationals (87) automatically posi trac? Cuz I think mine is a 1 wheeler? Could it be that the posi unit is bad or what? Thanks:) David

Grand Nationals are not automatically posi... Check for option code G80 to see if it's a posi or not.

As far as the tranny rebuild, I couldn't find anyone locally that I trusted enough to do the rebuild. If you have the money I (and MANY others) would recommend shipping it to Bruce at Performance Trans. In california. The shipping was about $115.

Derrick

I got mines done at Hopaka auto repair that specialize in transmission did a excellent job. You could give them a call (Paul) its loacted on Kona street in town.

Or you could call Paul G. at Waipahu trans, just tell him you're one of the "BUICK" guys.

Another place is Kiyo's on Queen street ask for Wayne, probally one of the best deals on transmission rebuilds in Hawaii. The did the rebuild on my Camaro.

As far as the trans goes, I'll have to agree with Derrick. :)

Although Jackson and a few others did have their trannies successfully rebuilt here....

Thanks guys for all your help! I can't really find the placard for the g80 code for limited slip differential. Its probably one of the ones with it all rubbed of already. :D

Is it hard to make these cars posi? Where can I get one, any special preferences? How much?

How you doing
If you are looking to send a tranny up too bruce or have it built locally I have a core transmission you can purchase. It's in my car at the moment but will be coming out very soon. I got another and will no longer require it.
It's the BRF code 2004r
This way there is no down time!:)
It may cost a little more in the long run but being able to drive your car still is priceless
Let me know if your interested
It will be very cheap for a core
thanks KOA

Not too hard to install a posi. Try doing a search and see which one is more favorable.

Koa, what are you asking for that BRF core?

Hey Paul
I am willing to let it go really cheap!
I haven't got it out yet I am waiting to get a hand from Derek...but his brothers in town so I have to wait.
But if you don't mind waiting till like the end of the month
I'm willing to let it go for $150obo or what you got??
It has a shift kit in it
I think the pump went bad, but the clutches were worn too
I had no reverse and the thing doesn't really want to shift...To me it sounds like a pump??
The pan has some dents in it.
But hey it is just a core!
Basically I will have no room for it once it comes out!

If it has the BRF valvebody, I'll take it. Let me know when you have it out, then I'll swing by. Thanks, Paul

Paul it should be a brf code valvebody!
It's the original transmission that was in the car since 1984.
I will let you know when I have it out.
thanks KOA

Oops!

Originally posted by 84tt
It's the original transmission that was in the car since 1984.
From what I understand.... That means that the trans is probably a BQ, and not a BRF. Check for the metal tag on the trans. The governor, valve body, and servo will differ slightly.

Only the '86-'87 TR Transmissions were BRF. :cool:

Oh well
I will probably dump it then if it isn't worth anything!
But I will check the tag before I do.

Keep it!

The calibrations are almost identical, from what little I understand about the 200-4R's. :eek: :D

Ditto for the CZ-F coded transmissions, off of MC'ss.

IMO, BOTH are worth keeping. ;)