trans not shifting

gnbeginer

A friend of mine just got his first gn back in march. He brought it out to show it off and the trans stop shifting. Granted its a 84 with the i/c conversion done to it, but its a running and driving gn for 5k. So we were lookin at a couple things and that's when he told me it had been sitting for about 4 years before he took possession of it. Gave him a ride home - he is going to stop and get filter kit and fluid next week to do a service on it. Fluid is darkish red and smells burnt. Any thoughts or ideas on what else it might be. It will be getting a "spring cleaning" before he takes it back home with him. This is his first TR and he don't really know much about it. Guess this might be his crash course in learning about these cars.

TIA

So when you say it's not shifting can we assume that it has 1st and reverse
gears operation? And is it not shifting from 1st to 2nd, or 2nd to 3rd, 3rd
to 4th? Which?:rolleyes:o_O

yup - you are correct. first and reverse. will hit second sometimes if you let off gas and then hit it again. but thats it.

The fluid should be red in color but not have a burnt smell. The tranny might have a pump problem or the torque converter is shot. I don't think a filter/fluid change will be the fix either. I can not stress how important it is to find someone who know these 2004r's inside and out for a solid rebuild. I'm pretty sure someone on this site can steer you to a good rebuilder in the area.

If the pump were bad there would not be enough pressure to engage the
clutch packs. The 2nd G/N I bought years ago would move slowly only if
you revved it quite a bit. It had a bad torque convertor. I would check the
governor first. Maybe the nylon teeth on it are worn or the spring is broken
or fallen out.

its goin on the left in a couple days - have to get it all checked out. got a guy around here that builds alot of race trannies - he said he would come take a look at it.

here's what was found today

Attachments

• waynesid 151.jpg
    waynesid 151.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 106
By by cluches. Wow looks like some one did the old saw dust trick.
It works just enough to sell the car and then. Complete melt down.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

i think so to. but its coming out saturday and going to trans guy. prolly gonna pull motor as well and check bearings and t-chain etc etc