Trailers

TurboTnZ06

Go on red!
Never owned a trailer, thinking of picking one up soon. I need to fit a Buick sometimes but also need to fit a lowered Zo6 other times so drop axles are a must as well as making long ramps. Would something like this be a good starter for $4k? It will be towed behind an '09 Suburban which doesn't have the heavy duty trailer package. From what I have read, I think I'll have to get a brake controller put on the truck for the trailer brakes. I searched craigslist but everyone wants 5-12K for a 4-6 yr old trailer.

NEW 8.5x24 8.5 x 24 Enclosed Carhauler Cargo For Sale

Trailer

I just went through the same process earlier this summer. I ended up buying a customized/upgraded United trailer to the tune of 14K. I looked for quite a while for a used trailer that fit what I wanted and basically concluded that they rarely come up for sale. Trailers that are well built with lots of options get sold to others without having to adverstize them. That being said, you get what you pay for. I looked at the 4-5K trailers on the internet and the feed back from folks who bought them and concluded that warranties and service mean nothing to the folks that peddle them. At these prices, every corner is cut to make a buck (again my opinion). If you plan to not to have it very long, it may work just fine. I decided that I was not going to buy another one and just ponied up the money. I also talked to some folks at my local drag strip and looked over the frames and how the trailers they had were built to see what looked good and what did not. I found the same theme with the 4-5K trailers that they start to rattle apart after a few years and start to leak. A neat trailer to think about, if you want to spend the money, is a Jim-Glo, as it looks like it works really well with lowered cars. I had my United frame lifted 2" more above the axles to allow the wheel wells inside to be shorter over the escape door I had put in to help with lower sitting cars like my GN. Another consideration is the 7,000lb GVWR on the trailer you posted....The trailer alone could weigh 4,000 lbs by itself, not leaving you much weight for CARgo....I would seriously consider at least 10,000 lb GVWR or higher for an enclosed trailer.

As far as the '09 burb, it should tow it okay but may want to think about adding a weight distributing hitch to what ever enclosed trailer you end up with to help keep more weight on the front tires and keep the back end from sagging. I used to tow with a 1500 GMC burb and the weight distributing hitch made a world of difference in my opinion. If your Burb does not have the integrated brake controller like the 08 and newer GM pickups, you will have to add it. You may have the wires already under the truck, they usually are blue and red w/blue I belive. You might find them bundled up underneath the master cylinder by the firewall.

Good luck with your search.

Never owned a trailer, thinking of picking one up soon. I need to fit a Buick sometimes but also need to fit a lowered Zo6 other times so drop axles are a must as well as making long ramps. Would something like this be a good starter for $4k? It will be towed behind an '09 Suburban which doesn't have the heavy duty trailer package. From what I have read, I think I'll have to get a brake controller put on the truck for the trailer brakes. I searched craigslist but everyone wants 5-12K for a 4-6 yr old trailer.

NEW 8.5x24 8.5 x 24 Enclosed Carhauler Cargo For Sale

Definately an entry level trailer with the unfinished interior. BUT.... I personally would stay away from the seamed roof. Look for brands that have one piece roofs, metal, not fiberglass.

Thanks for the detailed info! JimGlo's look nice! I think I might just get a $2K open trailer, even if I have to throw all my racing junk in the truck when I go racing rather than keep it in an enclosed $10K+ trailer.