Tools forthe job

belsie

What is the size & best tool for the bolts tying exhaust manifold to the turbo ( 3 bolt) Since this is a very tough area and has to be looked at from time to time, I hoped there is a preferred way. Also what gasket is favored there.......... Thanks

I just was wrenching there earlier this year, but don't remember the size off top. But I use an open wrench that has a slight bend to it, a straight wrench is too tough to get a good bite on the nuts to really lock em down. I like the RJC milam gaskets, over copper gaskets.

Also, while off take a look at the header flange, mine had some valleys and slag. This probably explains why I was cutting through copper gaskets so quickly. I surfaced the flange with a belt sander and fine grit paper. Don't get too aggressive though, you don't wanna cut into the flange, just smooth and even the surface. While you're at it, it doesn't hurt to double up on the nuts. Nut to nut, I now have 6 on my 3 bolt.

And, hit the nuts again after letting the RJC milam gasket settle for bout 30 mins or so, since it'll wanna decompress some. After running the car around a few times, remember to check the nuts again to see if they've loosened up at all. Should be bullet proof at that point moving forward.

Last edited:
What is the size & best tool for the bolts tying exhaust manifold to the turbo ( 3 bolt) Since this is a very tough area and has to be looked at from time to time, I hoped there is a preferred way. Also what gasket is favored there.......... Thanks
15mm box wrench with a slight offset works fine.

Clean up the surface of the flange and run no gasket. Been doing this for years. They didn't use one from the factory! They are going to suck coming off for the first time. You might need to use another wrench to get the leverage you need. Take your time and watch your knuckles. Penetrating fluid is nice as well. Tighten them up good, use some strength on them. Never had one back out on me. Grade 8 nuts and washers, nothing special.

" While you're at it, it doesn't hurt to double up on the nuts. Nut to nut, I now have 6 on my 3 bolt."

I wouldn't add extra nuts. Whats the point of that?

Serrated flange nuts 15mm hex and copper gasket if surfaces aren't perfect. 2-3 re-torques. No gasket if surfaces are machined flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gasket if your surfaces are not nice and flat, I use the ARP 12 point stainless nuts, around $4.80 ea thru summit, I also installed new ARP studs, just need to dig thru the catalog, it is not a kit.