tight converter and high HP

rtviper

Has anyone raced a high HP car with a low stall converter? I am curious how it worked out. I am talking 1000 hp available and a stall of 2400 or less. If one isn't concerned with the lowest ET but wants a nice run can it be done with any consistency?
The plan is to launch against the t-brake at about 2500 to 3000 rpm let the tires catch up to the motor then floor it fast gradually to not spin the tires. The car is a GN but has plenty of low end torque as it has a v8 with twin 66 BB turbos. Plan on using drag radials.
Thanks

Has anyone raced a high HP car with a low stall converter? I am curious how it worked out. I am talking 1000 hp available and a stall of 2400 or less. If one isn't concerned with the lowest ET but wants a nice run can it be done with any consistency?
The plan is to launch against the t-brake at about 2500 to 3000 rpm let the tires catch up to the motor then floor it fast gradually to not spin the tires. The car is a GN but has plenty of low end torque as it has a v8 with twin 66 BB turbos. Plan on using drag radials.
Thanks

You may want to talk to Don Wang.
He runs a really tight unit on his car.
People that do this some times hit the converter with a little N20.

Obviously your not concerned with spool-up so it will work. What you'll have to be concerned about is spinning the tires at the gear change. A tight converter will also have excessive rpm drop. If you make a lot of power and it drops 2000rpm on the gear change, it may hit the tires to hard. There's only 1 way to find out though.

Thanks guys. Dusty I will eventully get one of your converters but I have a time limit to deal with here. The car is almost ready to run and I only want to run a low 10 for now and be consistent. I have noticed from a slow roll the turbos spool up very fast with 3.90 gears in the rear. I will try low boost at first and add more as I go along. 10 lbs is 693 hp and 737 lbs torque and that should be good for a low 10 et. Peak HP seems to be at 7k RPM so I can also short shift the car. Like you said only one way to find out.
Previous owner used a high stall converter and could never get the car to hook. He changed the converter to the present tight configuration.
I did talk to Don and he mentioned the N20. I think the extra cubes should not require the N20. I have noticed on the street I can launch with 2k off the t-brake and then get on the car right away. I haven't had the room to try some higher RPM shifts to see if it beaks loose like Dusty mentioned.

We have a similar engine and I can tell you from experience you will have a real time being consistent with that low of a stall.If your trying to run a drag radial youll fry it.