This or that?

johnpbf

I've looked at two cars and now I'm looking for expert opinions on a comparison of them., both 87 GNs.

1st one has 19k original miles, is in almost perfect condition (paint is immaculate) and has a down pipe, intercooler and a chip. Problem is the title shows a theft recovery from 1989. Not sure if the theft story means anything but the seller's version is that the previous owner's ex wife took and hid the car and it was later given back after she got what she wanted.

2nd one has 36k original miles and is in really good condition but not as nice as the first, totally stock.

The first car is only 2k more than the second.

In your opinion which car is more desirable? Should the theft recovery really send up much of the red flag?

Thanks.

If you are going to drive a GN and have fun with it, pick the one YOU like best!

If you are buying it for an investment, why would you want someone else to give you an opinion?

For re-sale the title glitch will follow the car forever!!! For your personal use pick the best car & deal..............title / carfax history can mean an app. 25 % in the final picture. Check all along with all state records in any state these cars were registered!

I would not hesitate on the 19K if it is nice and few upgrade parts , cause if you buy the 36k and not at nice you will spend more in the long run trying to get what the 19k car is already . But sometimes beauty is only skin deep though

If you are going to drive a GN and have fun with it, pick the one YOU like best!
I plan on having fun with which ever I go with and I like them both.

I posted here to get an opinion from GN experts on which one may be the better buy.

I may or may not keep it forever and resale definitely means something.

If you are buying it for an investment, why would you want someone else to give you an opinion?

See above.

For re-sale the title glitch will follow the car forever!!! For your personal use pick the best car & deal..............title / carfax history can mean an app. 25 % in the final picture. Check all along with all state records in any state these cars were registered!
Thank you

I would not hesitate on the 19K if it is nice and few upgrade parts , cause if you buy the 36k and not at nice you will spend more in the long run trying to get what the 19k car is already . But sometimes beauty is only skin deep though
They are both really close in condition, just wondering if the 19k miles w/theft recovery is in the same ball park with the 36k miles w/ clear title.

Thanks

I guess I'm not smart, but I personally could care less about the history of a vehicle. Lol. especially if it's in great shape. As long as it wasn't pieced together from an accident, it shouldn't matter. I also feel that resale value is what you make it, regardless of KBB or anyone else. My car is priceless to me, so regardless of mileage and condition, I'd charge a pretty penny for it if someone really felt that they had to have it. Good luck!!

Follow the money..................best car, best deal.......................

FWIW. i appraised at a Buick dealer for 20 yrs. 80s included. As mentioned A branded title will follow it and you and is always a deduction. If it shows 'perfect' paint,as you stated, it has to be a repaint.....mid 80s lacquer was the worst. If you know what to look for and it is a top quality job.(meaning someone dropped 10-15K)..i make no deduction but that is where a professional can help and be worth contacting.... sub-par paint is a m a j o r deduction Sub-par areas are most always in areas one cant see. A 'branded' title and a full re-spray scares me. Put the 36K one on a lift,make sure all is well...haggle some...own it...be happy.

*Disclaimer* I am NO expert.

I am under the impression that a theft recovery on the title is only after an Insurance payout on the car where they take ownership of the car. If my car gets stolen today and recovered next week, does my title get branded forever? I certainly hope not (but I have never had it happen so I dunno. I don't wanna hijack the thread by asking that question). If I took insurance money for the car, then the car was recovered, and then I bought the car back from the insurance then I would suspect that the title needs to reflect those ownership transactions.

Another key thing is making sure you are comfortable with both cars being actual mileage and not 119k 136k. Most states list these cars as 'Mileage Exempt' with their registration. As turbocamino pointed out, paint is a known issue with these cars (and the 80's in general). I have seen some cars from members here that were is pristine condition with over 100k on the clock that I would buy without hesitation because they owned and obviously cared for the car for a good portion of its life. I plan to drive and enjoy the car.

Price is a factor too. If I paid 20k just to be able to say I have a nice low mileage car, but then I get my doors blown off by a 2015 Scion TC (not that you would) I would be seriously regretting my decision. Unless of course I spent another 3-5 K on performance upgrades. (And the addiction begins hehe). I would be better off with a higher mileage, well maintained car at a lower price point. I could then take the money saved and modernize the performance of the car. To me a solid owner, with documented history is more important than the mileage given my stated purpose for the car. As an investment piece, sure a clean title always trumps a blemished in terms of resale price. However I don't know of anyone who has ever gotten more money out of their TR than they put in to it, so whats is a couple K off the resale price compared the the miles of memories you got to enjoy with it (or so we tell ourselves hehe)

Do your homework, check the history of the car (Autocheck/carfax) and inspect the under-body. These two GNs sound nice, but realize they aren't the 'only two' out there. Once you think you have decided on one, question yourself. If miles, location, and budget, were no obstacle, what would another GN have that would sway your current choice? Are you settling for what you know about or are you buying the car you always wanted?

At the end of the day we just need to be happy with our purchases. Someone ALWAYS got a better car for LESS money it seems (like big fish stories). Worst case scenario If 3 years down the line, you found out the car you bought was built from the wreckage of a MonteCarlo using recycled Legos from China, but it looks, felts, and drove exactly like a GN, are you gonna regret the purchase? Ya just need make sure you are completely satisfied in your reasons for the choice you are about to make.

Just my two cents :)

Thanks for all of the replies guys.

The miles on both are original and documented.

The respray is very good and it runs very strong.

The price on the car has been lowered to reflect the title having the "theft recovery" attached to it.

It does scare me a little but only because even though I always say I will keep a car forever, I never do.