thinking about buying DFI

1000MileStylez

Black Sheep
Im considering buying accels dfi unit, my 1 major concern is, the harness, when you buy the system is the harness included? and is it a simple wire harness for the sensors, or is all the accessories like a/c and such wired in, on my setup im not runing anything except the crank and ALT pulleys, no heat or AC

im just looking for a simple ccci, sensors fuel injector and fuel pump harness

If you have a stock turbo harness in the car now working properly I would suggest buying a FAST system with a PTE adapter harness. By far the easiest and cleanest way to go. You will like the ease of tuning of the FAST over the DFI. Give Berrel Auto a call they are in PA and are FAST, DFI, and BigStuff3 dealers. 215-659-8549.

i dont even know if its working properly, its a used engine harness is baught, its in a 1986 buick regal origionally carburated

FAST is big $$$ i can give up the ease of tuning going a little cheaper... i just want somehting direct plug & play

If you compare apples to apples the DFI is more. If you buy the DFI without the wide band O2 sensor, I am pretty sure you will never get it tuned properly, though it would be a little cheaper. If you are thinking about a Gen 6 DFI then you can't compare that to the FAST. It is like comparing a Commadore 64 to a Pentium 4. If you have never tuned a programmable engine management system before I seriously would stay away from any DFI. I know this is only my opinion but I have tuned them all. The best bang for the buck right now is the FAST, it is proven in the Buick V6 market. You can buy it with a stand alone harness but the install is alot more involved, it can be done though.

i was looking at the intall pdf file of FAST it looks relativly easy, everything is labled and its just a matter of wiring in some relays

They fail to mention on a Buick turbo V6 you need to make a jumper harness that connects from the FAST to the crank sensor, cam sensor, and module. Like I said it is possible but more involved. The best and cleanest way is to use the factory harness with an adapter.

With a gen 7 dfi you don't need an msd. I don't see were it's hard to tune one. I've never used a FAST so i don't know the differences between the 2. If you want sequential the dfi is cheaper even with the wideband. Dfi comes with an engine harness. You can also get an adapter harness to plug it into the stock harness. If you buy it without the wideband now you can add it later without upgrading anything. Go to White Racing's website. There is a link to Accel's website where you can download a demo of the gen 7.

No matter what you buy you need a wide band O2 if your going to tune it. Get the innovate unit, i find is full of some many nice features. I suggest you get a ME-R setup and tune for that, you will never beat the stock ecm for plug and play. COld start especially is difficult to tune, and there will always be some drivability issues with aftermarket ecm. If you want to make it simple and save money go with the ME-R. UNless its a track only car, go with a aftermarket ecm

its mainly a track car, but will be driven on the street (sometimes)

Im not that great with wiring, thats why im going with a painless wire harness for the car and after market ECU for the engine, plus it will be cleaner in the engine compartment with only the sensors and wires i need instead of having plugs left haning there. i was at white racings site, the bank/bank with wide band 02 isnt THAT much either, im thinking of going that route. just need more info on it

do you still need the stock chassis harness with the ALDL connection, or does that go into the DFI directly from the engine harness?

The FAST does not have a 2 step, but 90% of users probably won't need or have a use for a 2 step. I wouldn't be baseing my decision on purchasing an aftermarket EMS based upon whether it has a 2 step or not. There are a lot more important options and features one should consider.

Originally posted by berrelauto
The FAST does not have a 2 step, but 90% of users probably won't need or have a use for a 2 step. I wouldn't be baseing my decision on purchasing an aftermarket EMS based upon whether it has a 2 step or not. There are a lot more important options and features one should consider.

Then the GEN 7 is a better choice. If I was doing it over again I would go with the GEN 7 for the reason of the 2 step. FAST also does not have TCC output, which the GEN 7 does, FAST is behind the times right now, and the new box is well behind schedule. How much $$ have they lost because of this???

Ted
Like I said I wouldn't be baseing my decision on purchasing an aftermarket EMS based upon whether it has a 2 step or not. There are a lot more important options and features one should consider. With that being said thats why we sell many different system to try to fit our customers needs & price range. I'm not sure if we will see a 2 step or a TCC control with the long overdue FAST ecu. They tell me there will be more I/O with user configerable outputs. If you want to change to a GEN VII I have a new one in stock and can give you a smoking deal or trade your FAST unit in. ECU only $699. out the door.

does the Gen 7 use the same harness as a FAST does?
meaning is it plug and play if you already have a FAST?

No, same connector, different pin out. A BigStuff3 Gen 1 will plug directly into a FAST harness.

By the way, as per DFI, the 2 step function does not work with the DIS style ignition.