Thermostat question

Jseverin

I am in the middle of replacing a cracked thermostat housing and would like to put a new thermostat in while I have everything disasembled. I thought the thermostat would come out with the housing but it is stuck inside the block quite bad. I am reluctant to manhandle it out but that seems to be the only way to get it at this point. Is this common and is there an easy way to remove the thermostat that I'm missing? I attached an image so you all can see what I'm working with.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 228
X2
Yup, looks like your thermostat is toast.
Pry on it or try gripping it with some channel locks / water pump pliers & tear that sucker outta there....it's not salvageable anyways! Be sure to clean out all the crud & corrosion that will be left behind before installing your new T-stat.

Wow factor for sure, a pair of 8 or 10 inch channle locks will be your friend here. looks like someone ran a few bottles of stop leak thru there. you may want to get some cleaning agent in there to flush that stuff out.

I would try to scrape some of that crud away first and then clamp a pair of visegrips on it and it should come out.

I would put it back together without the thermostat first, and use some cleaner and plain water to clean and flush out the system before installing the new thermostat and coolant.

Finally finished, no more leak. So much for an hour job! Ended up purchasing a set of pry bars which did the trick. Cleaned the crud with a wire brush and some degreaser. I Put a 180 degree thermostat in to replace the damaged one. I have read the threads about 160 degree thermostats and figured a 180 degree stat is a good middle ground between the 160 and stock 195. Thanks for the inputs, just didn't want to damage anything on an otherwise super clean car.

Wow, never seen one that bad. Glad you were able to get it out without too much trouble.

Just make sure your chip fan settings are above 180*. I would also run some RMI-25 in there post haste.

Oh, and WOW that looked bad.

You did install the proper thermostat. 180 deg is correct for a TR. Most other cars do run a 195 deg, but Buick put a 180 in at the factory as part of the design. Don't get duped into the 160 deg thing thinking you will run cooler in the summer. The thermostat only controls minimum temp and has nothing to do with how hot the engine will get above the open point.

Man all that gunk hope you checked your radiator. Might be time to get a new one. Get some RMI in the system to help clean it out.

Completely drained and refilled the coolant right after I bought it. The radiator and other cooling components seem pretty clean. I'll run some RMI through for the time being. Planning on doing a full flush once the weather warms up a bit.