The Only 3300 lb. Buick V6 in the 8s using...

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first saw this compressor map and did the exercise we just went through. I was hooked. There was no way I was going to use any other turbo.
I've studied other 91mm compressor maps before I came across this one, and I had the same reservations about using a 91mm because of the surge line. This S510 was a gift to me from above.

And remember, this is the 95mm comp map!!!

When I was a kid my Grandfather loved to take me out in his old cars. One day we took a 33 Pontiac with a straight flathead 8 out. He was so proud of how slow that car could climb a hill in high gear just idling away. Kind of reminds me of trying to find the surge limit on a turbo. Except Grandpa didn't claim to have a drag car. Just like I have never bragged about beating someone at a test and tune. Lol
If you are not running at 2:1 exhaust to intake pressure ratio or more you need to ask yourself why the hell not. Turn it up. Let it rip. You might find the horsepower you give up with backflow might be forgotton by the boat load more you will actually make.

The reasons why I am in no hurry to turn it up are for the very reasons I've already given in this thread. If it interests you enough, you'll go back and find them.

turbo bitt said:
I done a lot of dyno work with the Holeset VGT. All on diesel stuff. And iteresting this to note that the Engineer I was working with said that there was a 60 HP difference between a low and high effieciency turbo.

Also, at the time I was working with them, they were using titanium compressors. This was not for a flow advantage like most would think. The gains with titanium were due to the fact that they can run this in overspeed conditions without overstressing the compressor.

There are other things to consider with VGT's. They were at the time a popular solution for emissions. This was because they cold control backpressure to some degree and promote EGR flow.

Allan G.

Allan, I really appreciate you sharing your experiences w/them. Was also considering a compromise between selecting the right turbo for my application, and running a VGT turbo, and that of course would be running twins but at two separate sizes (one small, and one big). I don't remember if such a setup came factory on the early '90 twin turbo RX7's, or the twin turbo 300ZX's, but I do remember one manufacturer doing this (a bear to tune, from what I can imagine). Have you any experience w/that route as well...?

DonWG said:
I race plenty of V8s during my testing at the track. They know they're in for a whoopin' when I come up against them. No rules....

nod.gif
:biggrin:

Allan, I really appreciate you sharing your experiences w/them. Was also considering a compromise between selecting the right turbo for my application, and running a VGT turbo, and that of course would be running twins but at two separate sizes (one small, and one big). I don't remember if such a setup came factory on the early '90 twin turbo RX7's, or the twin turbo 300ZX's, but I do remember one manufacturer doing this (a bear to tune, from what I can imagine). Have you any experience w/that route as well...?

No experience with what you stated. The only turbo combination with 2 different size turbos was staged turbos. This is where a bigger compressor is blowing into a smaller one. Exhaust side does something similar.

Allan G.

What? So now you think the big advantage is the efficiency of the stupid 91mm turbo I picked?

Seriously? Are you from Mars? There is no big advantage! Your car is a turd! Someone else spelled it out in the beginning of this thread, the TSO cars go way faster with way less!

At this point I have to believe that you're a troll, you're smarter than I am, and this whole thread is just a joke to get dummies like me to think that you're seriously this daft.

I fell for it. You win.

Seriously? Are you from Mars? There is no big advantage! Your car is a turd! Someone else spelled it out in the beginning of this thread, the TSO cars go way faster with way less!

At this point I have to believe that you're a troll, you're smarter than I am, and this whole thread is just a joke to get dummies like me to think that you're seriously this daft.

I fell for it. You win.
;) Owned.

Dusty,... Let me ask you this question. What does class racing have anything to do with this thread?

Weren't you bragging about beating up V8 cars at T&T?? No rules huh. As if these guys have pulled their gloves off and brought out an n/a big block bracket car and your showing them how it's done. If you want to gauge yourself against 91mm turbo's with nitrous I'm sure there is somewhere you can do that at a heads up event. There are classes that allow nitrous with turbo's. Find one of them locally and compare your work to someone pushing the limits like yourself.

turbo bitt said:
No experience with what you stated. The only turbo combination with 2 different size turbos was staged turbos. This is where a bigger compressor is blowing into a smaller one. Exhaust side does something similar.

Allan G.

I think the term that I was referring to is known as a bi-turbo, as opposed to twin-turbo, which is commonly found on the turbocharged Audi's, both early and late charged...

Weren't you bragging about beating up V8 cars at T&T?? No rules huh. As if these guys have pulled their gloves off and brought out an n/a big block bracket car and your showing them how it's done. If you want to gauge yourself against 91mm turbo's with nitrous I'm sure there is somewhere you can do that at a heads up event. There are classes that allow nitrous with turbo's. Find one of them locally and compare your work to someone pushing the limits like yourself.
LOL. Wouldn't the OP be over a second over the pace in any class? and isn't the 91mm kind of last years news?

Am I not understanding something? You really think that it bothers me that there are other cars that are faster than mine? Did I just step onto a kindergarten playground?

Am I not understanding something? You really think that it bothers me that there are other cars that are faster than mine? Did I just step onto a kindergarten playground?

Weren't you bragging about being the fastest guy with 1.83/1.5 valves or did I miss something?

Status
Not open for further replies.