the old import vs. domestic thing

nolanator

@none_more_black
Okay, I actually thought this thread was about hunting and fishing...like actual hunting and fishing. In any case, I have a story for you guys.

This took place about a year ago before I had my Buick. At the time I was driving a 1962 Chevy nova. I pulled into a gas station to fill up when a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution pulled in behind me and made his way to the pump beside me. He had his girlfriend with him and they couldn't have been more than 19, maybe 20 years old or so. About a minute into our fill ups, he looked over and said "Hey man. nice car." I took it as a compliment, said thanks and continued. I overheard his girlfriend ask him if his car was faster than mine. Right off the bat, this piqued my interest. I figured there's no way this guy is going to use logic in this explanation so I listened in. He went on about how early American cars were heavy and loud, but usually not fast. He further explained how four cylinder turbo cars were "like the new muscle cars of today". There's no way they couldn't hear me laughing.

I started my car, which sounds relatively mild due to the cam (for good reason). He also finished up and started his car, and bounced it off the rev limiter a few times. I didn't rev back because my car just sounds like a mild small block until it's under a load.

Anyway, we both pull out, and he is about 5 or 6 cars behind me and I hear his obnoxious wastegate open and he attempts a flyby. I bite and lay into my throttle about 50-60% and it was at this point he knew he messed up. The blower whine is ungodly loud and the torque is instantaneous.I almost instantly put a bus length on this car. I know he was pissed off because I didn't hook immediately being on street radial tires, so I must have thrown gravel and dirt, or whatever was on the road all over that poor car.

...and that's it
here's my car:

What a clueless, hipster douchebag.

My 10 year old kid would look at that thing & know it's nasty.